Kurviger.de | Application | Blog | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Legal Notice | Privacy Policy

App / Website: Straight-Line / Point Planning mode / Plotting a track on unsurfaced roads

Hi. An excellent app. I’ve used it in the UK as well as on a recent trip to the Alps, Dolomites and Slovenia.
On the desktop version is it possible to plot a route which uses legal roads which are unsurfaced but Kurviger does not “see” as a road? Such roads are not uncommon in the UK. A few of these seem to be accessible through Kurviger but many are not.
I used to use MotoPlanner. This had a point to point route planning option which, although time consuming on long trails, was perfectly acceptable. If this is not available could it be added?
If I import a track which uses such roads it works fine. However, I would like the option to plan such a route.

Currently, it is not possible to use a point planning option to do this. This is a common feature request and we are looking for options to improve this.

In general, I believe that the best option is to improve the road data, so that Kurviger will route over a certain road. You can even do this yourself. So if a road is legally accessible and not too unreasonable, it should be possible to include it into Kurviger. Also see our documentation about this.

If you are interested in improving the data, feel free to post a short route that shows the issue and we can have a look if and how the data could be improved.

I am new to Kurviger, but I searched UI features, documentation, and forums before making this post. Take it easy on me. First, am loving Kurviger–it does a lot of things right! Many of my dualsport rides include creek crossings where the map might say the road dead-ends on either side of the creek. Some tools allow me to toggle between “snap to road” and “straight lines”. This lets me build a track on roads as normal, then draw a line across the creek, then continue with the track snapping to road.

If Kurviger does this, WOOHOO!
If not, this is my vote for a new feature.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the question. I moved you question into a topic that is also about this topic. It was a bit difficult to find, so I moved it to New Features as well and changed the title to make it easier to find.

If there actually is a ford, the best way would be to tag it accordingly and make it possible to route over it.

Nevertheless, I understand that this a an important feature. I sometimes struggle with this as well and a workaround is to plan two routes. One route up to the river, and the second route from the river onwards.

So this feature is on the todo-list :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Thanks. I think the issue lies in what is too difficult. There are routes I know which I would happily ride on one bike, but not another. If you take the TET (Trans Euro Trail) as an example all the roads are legal to ride. Many are tarmac, many are not. I don’t think it would be wise to add unsurfaced “roads” to Kurviger. However, if they couture be easily tagged and users could opt in then that would be fine.

1 Like

Kurviger already allows unsurfaced roads. You can choose to avoid them in the advanced options: “avoid unpaved roads”. So I think we are fine in that regard. I agree with you that Kurviger should not include any hardcore trails or the like. We currently don’t allow anything too hardcore.

1 Like

Dear all,
I am a newbe with Kurviger / this forum; I was using motoplaner.de for some time until final shutdown. Sad.

I am using the route planer function not for planning, but for documention of my trips - I do an export into KML file and list them in my growing diary to visualize them finally in the maps.me-app.

Unfortunately, Kurviger has some limitations I am not able to overcome: e.g. I cannot pass certain road-barriers, I cannot re-draw a boat- or train-trip (as was possible with motoplaner via the POI-modus), etc.
Motoplaner was perfect for my usecase, Kurviger seems the best available option - but due to the limitation not sufficient.

Are there similar requests? I found the FAQ about offroad-planning - which is not exactly what I am looking for. Is there any chance to get this kind of feature implemented in the near future?

Thanks for your support,
JohnC

Thanks for the request :slight_smile:. Yes I moved you request to one of the topics that is about this feature.

In the future, yes. Near future, maybe, depends on what you define as near. This is not something we will add next week or the week after, but it’s something we would like to add in the future. Sorry, but we cannot provide any deadlines :frowning:.

It’ s really a pitty, but to find a solution for this old Motoplaner feature for me there was the only possibility to change (sometimes) to Komoot (with some other disadvantages).
May be in the future it’s possible to implement something here.

Best regards

Thale