Kurviger.de | Application | Blog | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Legal Notice | Privacy Policy

Fallback to Offline Calculation

Potentially a matter to improve:

When driving through areas with poor or no internet bandwith, the switch over to offline calculation is not working. It calculates and calculates, but doesn’t find a new route when leaving the planned route and it doesn’t switch to offline routing (I use Kurviger and brouter for offline routing).

For better traceability what happens I find it good if the calculation method is written as text in big letters (including transparency features) somewhere (maybe at the bottom of the screen) to find out or better see when the calculation method is switched (or not where it should switch). Or would it be it easier to just use a timer in the way when a route is not found in 10 or 15 seconds, then automatically switch to offline calculation?

When there are selected 2 routing services and there is a route request, there is also an internet check.
If internet check succeeds then Kurviger server is called.

That’s the simplest implementation and I don’t intend to complicate it more.

If you don’t like that workflow, you can close internet in your device or select explicitly the offline routing.

And if you really need offline Kurviger routing you can ask @boldtrn to provide it for the app:

Also the rerouting tries to find a route every 30",
so a retry timer already exists.

The question is, how reliable is that internet check?
I remember situations (way before offline routing was introduced) where rerouting took very long, but the message that internet is missing was not triggered.

Is there any chance to improve that internet check?

The user has no good choice here:

• If switch internet off in android then all other apps are affected as well.
  • If select explicitly offline routing, then partial rerouting is lost.

The internet check is reliable, but why the online communication with a server is slow…

Internet can never be reliable and cannot fix that, only offer offline maps + routing.

I can see if something extra is possible, but cannot make any promises.

But it does not switch to offline routing, doesn’t it?
Or is internet check repeated after 30sec?

The internet check happens in all route requests.
(so also every 30")