Subfolders inside collections

Hi Bichu,

another variant is to create a folder structure on your own cloud drive. I use Google Drive and there you can create multiple subfolders if you prefer:

Only disadvantage - you have to use two additional apps on your Android mobile:

1. file explorer of your choice
  2. drive sync (to synchronise the folder in the cloud with the folder on your mobile)
  3. setup the pairing folders in Google Drive and on your mobile in drive sync and pay 2 Euros to get rid of the disturbing advertisement

You have then all your routes stored on your mobile and an internet connection is only necessary during synchronisation. I prefer to import the routes from an external folder, the cloud structure in kurviger web app works fine, but I got used to folder structures in Windows. I also created links for the navigation folder and kurviger directly on my start screen of my mobile:

4 Likes

@hellsguenni very organized work! :+1:

Similar to:

@zaphod_42 the straight line route profile was implemented! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Emux,
I know and use it! :+1::wink:

2 Likes

Thanks helsguenni for discription, additional there is a Video how to:
German:
(57) Kurviger Erklärt - Routenübertragung von der Webseite an die Kurviger App - YouTube
English:
(57) Kurviger Explained - Transferring Routes from the Website to the Kurviger App - YouTube

5 Likes

Very nice solution, thats what I would like to do in the kurviger´s cloud because I use only the web version (no apple version :frowning:
I use dropbox too to export to the phone but would like to keep my routes organized in kurvi´s web version when planing to compare routes, plan longer old routes, etc…

May be will be be implemented in the future; and thanks a lot for the answers!

Hi, since I have meanwhile lot’s of top level folders in my Cloud storage
I’d love to see the possibility to add subfolders beyond the top level cloud folders.
This would help me a lot for a better structuring.
Thanks for your attention.

I moved your request to the corresponding discussion :slight_smile:.

At least right now, this is not really planned. Maybe in the future we can overcome this limitation, but for now that’s not possible.

Hmm, thanks for the feedback however
I would have been happier if the feedback was more positive and
unfortunately not blocked by technical restrictions.
Cheers.

It’s not just about technical restrictions, but it would make many things way more difficult. For example:

• moving a route from one folder to the other
  • navigating between folders
  • deleting multiple subfolders at once
  • other multi folder actions (for example show all routes in a folder - not yet implemented, but on the todo list)

We also need to think about the user. How can we avoid making things too complicated to use? Having one level of folders is still relatively easy to handle, while offering a lot of benefits over not having any folders.

Hmm, your points are still targeting only the issues when it comes to the programming so it’s still a technical issue :wink:
And if this cannot be solved…then it’s still technical.

From a users perspective:
Subfolders are quite common nowadays in any database related software :wink:
there might restrictions by level depths or other (total) limitations.
But for a user I don’t see the complexity since every user can decide for himself to use it or not.
Almost Every computer user has to work with subfolders in databases, graphics software, data managers,.,.,.,.

If a feature is available, it will be used. It makes the handling more difficult since you have multiple levels.

So this really is a trade-off between complexity and benefit. So far, there have not been that many requests for subfolders. Therefore, right now I am leaning against implementing it.

That is also the reason why we chose only one folder depth, when initially designing the Kurviger Cloud.

however proposals can/should be flagged.
It’s always a lottery,
sometime you win and sometimes not. :slightly_smiling_face:
That’s life
Cheers

1 Like

Yes, and we should keep the discussion open, if there are enough people that really need this, it’s always possible to change this.

…and most of them epically fail in creating a simple framework within file explorer for structuring their data. Or are not even interrested in racking their brain - they simply prefer to have things work with a ‘one-click’ solution or the most simple one, therefore I personally think it is more worth to invest money in the navigation functionality then in file structure features.

3 Likes

Da jeder seine eigene Struktur favorisiert, finde ich es grundsätzlich super, wenn die Möglichkeit von Unterordner angeboten werden könnte. Ich würde dann schon 2-3 Ebenen gutheissen. Das liegt aber auch eher daran, dass ich sehr struktuiert bin und gern Ordnung halte.

Hätte ich die Möglichkeit, dann würde ich folgende Struktur verfolgen:

Bsp:
Deutschland / Bundesland / Region / Dateien Sternfahrten
Urlaub 20xx / Land / Region / …

Das ist nur ein Wunschdenken. Ich bin mit meiner gegenwärtigen “Ablage” auch sehr zufrieden und für mich ist es absolut nicht zwingend, Programmierzeit in weiteren Ebenen zu investieren. Ich finde, dass der Fokus weiterhin im Routing liegen sollte … und ich bin mir sicher, dass das Potenzial in dem Bereich nie vollkommen ausgeschöpft sein wird ;-). Also Robin… du wirst nicht “arbeitslos” :innocent: :star_struck: :blush:

Edit:
Sorry… dass ich mal wieder deutsch geschrieben habe… Chrome ist bei mir automatisch auf deutsch eingestellt… und dann sehe ich leider nicht, dass vorher englisch geschrieben wurde. Asche über mein Haupt… :grimacing:

3 Likes

I didn’t want to start endless discussion. It was just a proposal having subfolders.
That’s it and that’s all.
Many way’s will guide to Rome.
I agreed with Viola, I have the same thinking - Anyway.
Since it’s on the programmer(s) to set it up (if they like) in the future - fine.
if not, then it is like it is.
Cheers

@gs-dirgi

This is a community where active opinions are sought. Don’t worry about it.

If you read other posts in the forum, you will see that many things have been discussed in advance before any further development has taken place.

I think your suggestion is good… it is about priorities and these are partly set with the opinions of the users.

Kurviger continues to grow through such food for thought…

That’s why (among other reasons) the internal cloud in the app has not yet been implemented.

Then users will start asking for structural changes all the time, making everything complicated.
(similar to how complicated the bookmarks are asked to be redesigned)

Meanwhile all these are already available with (free) external clouds: :wink:

1 Like

Ich vermisse im Bereich Cloud/Deine Routen die Möglichkeit, Unterordner anzulegen. So langsam füllt sich das Fenster und es wird unübersichtlich.
Des weiteren würde ich gerne komplette Ordner (mit Inhalt) und einzelne Ordnerinhalte verschieben können. Um z.B. eine Route in einen anderen Ordner zu verschieben, muss ich jetzt erst die Route öffnen und kann dann erst über erweiterte Optionen verschieben. Das ist sehr umständlich.

I miss the possibility to create subfolders in the cloud/your routes area. Slowly the window fills up and it becomes confusing.
Furthermore, I would like to be able to move complete folders (with content) and individual folder contents. For example, to move a route to another folder, I now have to open the route first and can only then move via advanced options. This is very cumbersome.

Thanks for bringing this up, I have moved your topic into the existing discussion. At leasts right now, we are not planning on adding multiple folder levels. Right now there are folder and within them, you can place routes/favorites. Subfolders would make things way more complicated, but in theory it might be possible that we could add this in the future.

Yes, that makes sense, to move multiple routes at once.