Google Maps route transferred to Kurviger differences

I am requesting some feedback on a routing issue. My mate uses Google Maps on his phone and I use Kurviger and a Garmin Zumo XT.

He is the lead for an upcoming 16 day :motorcycle::grin: and he has done all the routes in Google Maps. He sent me Google Maps links for each day and I use MapsToGPX to convert them for Kurviger and then export as Garmin Shaping Point files. My routes always end up much longer as they include different turns.

I understand mapping software is complex but I have become very comfortable with Kurviger and Garmin over the last 18 months.

In this case we can ignore MapsToGPX and also Garmin Zumo as I can reproduce the effect without those two elements.

Attached are some images / screen shots to show the issue for a 3 kilometer section of the ride:

On Google Maps the route is straight through the town. If I choose the same start and end using Kurviger the route has a left turn off the main road and then right back on the main road after the town. I have all my filters turned OFF !

When I export as Garmin Shaping Points and import to my Garmin Zumo XT it shows the same route with the left and right additional turns BUT shows a RED track as per the Google Map straight through the town.

TIA
Gary

Hi Garry,

please share the short link to your example so we can take a look. You can then also see what curvature you have set.

https://kurv.gr/UcXub

And Google Maps

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jXjV47FBmg5aXCQf7

I can not open the Kurviger link

All curvature options avoid the road through town.

Google Maps does show heavy traffic.

GC

Or

Kurviger mag die Bundestrasse dort nicht! Ist bei mir auch so, natürlich. Sogar, dass es lieber zurückroutet als den schnelleren, direkten Weg zu nehmen: :slight_smile:

Der vermeintlich schnellere Weg ist nach den OSM-Definitionen nicht der schnellere Weg!

Während die Mittagong Road mit maximal 70 km/h befahren werden darf, ist die Kirkham Road frei befahrbar. Siehe OpenStreetMap

Lustig ist übrigens die Definition einzelner Bäume im OSM … :laughing:

The supposedly faster way is not the faster way according to the OSM definitions!

While the Mittagong Road may be driven with a maximum of 70 km/h, the Kirkham Road is free. See OpenStreetMap

By the way, funny is the definition of individual trees in OSM … :laughing:

2 Likes

Importiert man die Google Maps Route im GPX Format als Overlay ist die Route gleich.

Einen GPX Track sollte man eigentlich 1:1 importieren können was mit Kurviger aber leider nur als Overlay funktioniert.

Thank you, that seems to be the reason for Kurvigers behavior and there does not appear to be a way around it other than put a shaping point in the middle … but I can’t do that for a 5,600km trip to replicate Google Maps.

Somebody loves those trees !

As another comment states I can follow the track.

Thanks
Gary

Hi Emu, OpenStreetMap is free to edit for everybody, if you change the speed limit on the other road to what it actually is in reality, then Kurviger will probably behave as you expect :slight_smile: If you have any questions about editing OSM there are a lot of people here on the forum willing to help

Hi Patrick and thanks for engaging.

The speed limit on the other back road is likely higher than through the town. So it will likely continue to go the back way. Any idea on how Google Maps processes this logic.

… and is there an issue in general at the moment - I cannot import any of my GPX files in to Kurviger - it will only provide Start and End points and gives me blue circles for all the Waypoints and shaping Points

The GPX text is;
<wpt lat=“-33.4565” lon=“151.4383”><name>Garries</name><desc>Continue onto Tramway Road</desc><sym>Flag, Green</sym><type>start</type></wpt>
<wpt lat=“-33.438413” lon=“151.419754”><name>Stop 1 is Waypoint 1 name</name><desc>Waypoint 1</desc><sym>Flag, Blue</sym><type>via</type></wpt>
<wpt lat=“-33.436833” lon=“151.368004”><name>Shaping Point 2 name 2222</name><desc>Waypoint 2</desc><sym>Waypoint</sym><type>shaping</type></wpt>
<wpt lat=“-33.434442” lon=“151.296771”><name>Fuel Kariong</name><desc>Arrive at destination</desc><sym>Flag, Red</sym><type>destination</type></wpt>
</gpx>

Gary

Hi Gary

Ah alright, in that case let me quickly tag @boldtrn here so we can collect this into our list of examples where Kurviger shouldn’t leave the main road

Please open a new thread for new issues :slight_smile:

I have looked at the Speed Limit in Google Street Images and it is 50. So I have used OSM to edit the segments and I’ve set them to 50kph.

This is the same as through the centre of town but as the centre of town route is shorter it may now be used for fast curvature.

In Kurviger at the moment the OSM date stamp: 10/20/2023 so my edits are not being used.

Thanks
GC

1 Like

Please note, that Google Street view is not a legal source for OpenStreetMap.

1 Like

But entering data w/o any source is legal!? :thinking: :woozy_face:

See also the FAQ from OSM. If you contribute data, you are doing this under the license from OSM. If you infringe the copyright of Google Maps, you might be liable for this to Google Maps. (I am not a lawyer, if you are unsure, I would recommend contacting one)

That said, contributing your local knowledge is not a problem at all. The problem is when you use other sources instead of local knowledge.

3 Likes

On the 23rd of October I used OSM TO edit the speed limits on the side street to be 50 kph as per Google Street View speed signs that I saw.

Today Kurviger picked up those edits and has rerouted me straight through the town as per the original Google Maps route from my friend.

Originally in OSM there was nothing entered for the speed limit. Perhaps Google Maps will select against that and take the shorter route where the speed limit is known ?

Please don’t use Google Street View to edit data on OSM!

Local knowledge means you have seen it for yourself locally. I know that for max speed this is a bit annoying as it is hard to remember where exactly a speed limit starts and ends.

You can use Mapillary as a source: Mapillary cookie policy use

They have a worse coverage than Google Street View, but their license allows the use for OSM.

2 Likes

That’s nonsense - isn’t it?

Everyone can look at everything in Street View - after all, I pay with my data (Google now knows that I am interested in a city in Australia). I can freely use the information I have got from this.

So now I know that a certain street has a speed limit of 50 km/h with a high probability. And because I know that, I can define that in OSM without having to mention the source. I could have also called someone on the phone to tell me this information.