Extra Kurvig uses boring Mainroads with high traffic

[EN] I think I have found an issue with the route calculated by Kurviger
[DE] Ich glaube ich habe ein Problem bei der Routenberechnung von Kurviger gefunden

[EN] Here is a url to a short example (<10km) that shows the issue:
[DE] Hier ist ein Link zu einer kurzen Route (<10km) die das Problem zeigt:

https://kurv.gr/hS7Z6

Sorry, it’s > 10 km, round-trip, the issue is in the first 30km.

[EN] Description of the issue and how it should work instead:
[DE] Beschreibung des Problems und wie es anstatt dessen funktionieren sollte:

This is the recent example, I had this problem several times since the latest version (I think, as I noticed it happening more often since August).
I plan “extra kurvig” (wouldn’t know the English term you use), but the route goes along main roads, high traffic areas.
So for riding/navigation I am using “Go Ride” where I transfer the way-points manually and let them do the routing/navigation.
This app has some serious issues, so I would like to use kurviger again. In June it served me well through France, Italy and Switzerland.

In the example it is ( IMO ) obvious between km 15 and 30 (The B470 from Forchheim to Ebermannstadt, oh please, no sane biker would want to be catched on THAT road).
It is a round-trip, “extra kurvig”, 170km, to the East. Complete calculated by kurviger.
Avoidance all on off, except “use the same road twice” on “2”.

1 Like

You can calculate a new round trip if you don’t like the proposed roundtrip. Roundtrips are not perfect, that’s why there are many different options.

We haven’t changed anything in this regard since August.

Yeah that road does not look very exciting, but whats the alternative? Going via Pretzfeld seems to be not a great option either, so the B470 seems to be using less roads in cities.

1 Like

I have been testing a little bit, and you’re right, the problem is not just since August, if it’s a problem.
I have to adjust the avoidances to

• same road twice : 2
  • Avoid toll roads : 5
  • Avoid motorways : 5
  • Avoid main roads : 3
And then I get what I thought would be 'extra curvy'.

With use and time you will realize that it is better to turn off the avoidances.

That’s what I understood also, and that’s why I was confused.
But without adjusting the avoidances I got ( for several routes) the same proposals for ‘extra curvy’, ‘curvy’ and ‘fast and curvy’. Only ‘fastest’ would show another route.
And it does not only concern round trips.
So I guessed something is wrong.
I can live with that, but I wanted to ask.

If “extra curvy” is not curvy enough, than “avoid main roads” can absolutely make sense.
You just should not use “avoid narrow roads” at the same time.

While you should indeed use avoidance sparingly, sometimes targeted avoidance can help achieve the desired result.