The language thing

Die Frage ist nicht nur wie es jetzt ist, sondern wo wir hin wollen. In Zukunft sollen auch neue Leute zu Kurviger finden. Englisch ist die Sprache die weltweit doch relativ häufig verstanden und gesprochen wird und es die Sprache des Internets. Von dem her halte ich den Standard auf Englisch zu halten schon für relativ sinnvoll.

Also ganz so ist es ja auch nicht. Aktuell sind zwar etwas über 50% aus dem deutschsprachigen Raum, aber es sind auch viele aus dem nicht deutschsprachigen Raum dabei.

Große Ankündigungen werden ja meist zweisprachig geschrieben, dass soll voerst auch mal so bleiben.

Yo hablo un poco de espanol. I agree that if most texts are in English it will help everyone to at least understand a little to see if it is interesting or not and consider using an online translator to help with the translation.

4 Likes

I have gotten used to answering here in English. It does not hurt me.
I think most people are fluent in English these days and so even the non-German speaking kurviger users benefit from it.

P.S. Nowadays we are thankfully so often caring for minorities, so why not here too. Wouldn’t that help everyone, if the German speakers adapts a bit here? At least we would only do what we expect from the non-German speakers.

7 Likes

Nein, erst mal natürlich nicht.

Aber mit einer Übersetzungssoftware kan man doch auch seine englischen Suchwörter in deutsche übersetzen (lassen) und eingeben, wenn einem das Thema wichtig ist (und umgekehrt).

Das ist doch dasselbe, wie zu erwarten, dass jemand auch die Posts für sich nach Bedarf übersetzt.

Kann mir nicht vorstellen daß ein Forum in Amerika oder China sich an Deutschland anpasst!

Kurviger ist aus Deutschland und hat wahrscheinlich die meisten Nutzer in DE

Wenn ich in Amerika oder China was suche muss ich auch schauen daß ich mit der Übersetzung klar komme.

A short test with deepl:
I entered:
turn instruction

Result was:
Wendeanweisung
alternatives:
Abbiegeanweisung
Drehbefehl
Drehanweisung

Now, what would you enter in the forum seach?
Maybe Wendeanweisung

My conclusion is, that it makes searching much more difficult if you don’t know the exact words that are relevant for your problem.

3 Likes

I see the problem - in this case. But: generalizable?

I don’t know if our forum software uses AI for the search, probably not (yet) - then it wouldn’t be a problem. -

But you have this problem with the current simple search algorithms anyway:

If someone wrote in his posts instead of “Abbiegehinweis”, “Hinweis zum Abbiegen”, “Abbiegebefehl” etc., or instead of “turn instruction” “turn indication” etc., this simple search algorithm will not find it either.

So this is not limited to the language problem.

If I search for something and the software spits out nothing at all, then I change the search strategy and try other search terms or do some iterative research. -

What else would be the consequence?

PRESCRIBE only ONE language?
Then the other language users are ALWAYS disadvantaged in the search.

ALWAYS require DOUBLE language posts?
Then the posts will be long and rather unreadable, as has already been argued.
And anyway without guarantee of success, as just explained. -

I think we can expect some personal responsibility and perhaps some effort from the forum users.

(In the app, after all, we’ve been consistently biligual so far; it’s very appropriate there).

Honestly I don’t mind whether we communicate in english or german. In case I see that a discussion is purely going on in german, I would not jump in with english and vice versa. Deepl really helps with translating and I think no one will be blamed on his language skills. It also has the nice side effect that you become better in the other language. It is a bit harder, but over time you get used to it. Would stay in the manor as is was done in the past - english starter, english thread. If someone does not feel comfortable with english he might answer in his mother tongue, in the end of the day it is important to find a solution together, the language should be no border

3 Likes

“Fluent” might be a bit too positive. At very least to me. But I agree. At least some basic understanding should be common nowadays :wink:.

1 Like

Hallo Biker

(English Text below German)

Ich verstehe Deinen Punkt sehr wohl. Und ja, da sind uns die englischsprachigen Menschen ein Stück voraus, denn das Englische hat sich nunmal für den internationalen Austausch etabliert (zumindest in unseren Breiten). Mir (und meinem armen Englischlehrer) wäre viel erspart worden, wenn es (ohne Weltkrieg) mit dem Deutschen geklappt hätte.

Aber die Frage ist doch, was ich erreichen möchte. WENN wir wollen, dass Kurviger-App und -Webseite populär werden (und das alleine ist schon wichtig, da diese Einnahmen das Bestehen von Kurviger sichern), sollten wir unbedingt GRÖSSER denken, als nur für die DACH (Deutschland, Austria, Schweiz) Region. Also international. Ergo… International, und damit Englisch, ist dann ein muss. Und auch ich gehe, bei rein Englischen Texten, gerne (schon alleine aus Faulheit) über die automatische Übersetzung. Ich stimme daher für ein zweisprachiges Vorgehen, oder ein rein Englisches Vorgehen für unsere internationalen Gäste.

I understand your point very well. And yes, the English-speaking people are a bit ahead of us, because English has established itself for international exchange (at least in our latitudes). I (and my poor English teacher) would have been spared a lot if it had worked out with German (without a world war).

But the question is, what do I want to achieve? IF we want Kurviger app and website to become popular (and that alone is important, as this revenue ensures Kurviger’s existence), we should definitely think BIGGER than just for the DACH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) region. So international. Ergo… International, and therefore English, is a must. And also I go, with pure English texts, gladly (already alone from laziness) over the automatic translation. I therefore vote for a bilingual approach, or a purely English approach for our international guests.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

5 Likes

For me (a non German speaking member), the posts in both English and German work great. However, after a thread has (mostly) switched to German I sometimes drop out due to a lack of understanding and wanting to translate every reply.

7 Likes

I do the same thing, but, if it looks interesting, I select Read More, which opens the topic in Google’s Chrome browser and I select Google Translate if the browser hasn’t automatically translated it for me.

2 Likes

If you don’t see/have a way to do this when you have the foreign language page open in Chrome, right click anywhere on the page and select translate.

Thanks for the tip!

A post was split to a new topic: Sprache der Karten

is there a forum in Dutch ???

No, the forum is not split into language specific parts, because it is to small.

Nee, het forum is niet onderverdeeld in taalspecifieke secties omdat het te klein is.

But DeepL is a good translator. :wink:

3 Likes