Kurviger 1.12.3 (Beta)

Geht klar, danke.

All right, thanks.

In former versions there was a hint (bubble) which offline-maps are loaded.
I couldn’t find any hint which maps have been loaded anymore. Did I miss something?

It’s disabled for now, thinking for a more suitable way to present such info without (annoying) messages on app start. Also users will start asking for loaded graph info now (and other such info in future).

1 Like

@devemux86
That is indeed a fundamental step in Kurviger’s evolution! GREAT!!!
Congratulations! Uli

1 Like

Loading graph data and offline routing works great on my Huawei P20 Pro (running Android 9). But unfortunately it doesn’t on my Moto G3 (running Android 6) which is my motorcycle navigation device: I always get an “invalid routing data” message if trying to open the graph data.

I’m using the data from the “dach.zip” and checked twice that the downloaded data isn’t corrupted (first downloaded it directly from the smartphone and then on my PC and transferred it onto the phone). I even made a binary compare between the data on my Huawei and the Moto (both are the same). And I tried two different ways to store and load the graph data: on the internal memory (approx. 7GB free space left) and on the external SD card (approx. 22GB free space left).

Any hints what could be wrong? Could it be that it’s the old Android version (so far I had no problems while using Kurviger on that phone)?

Please see also the discussion here in offline routing feature topic.

Cannot know what happens with those large routing data on more weak devices,
though smaller graphs seem working fine.

Need to reproduce it somehow.
Can be memory or storage problems or something else…

Is there a possibility to load multiple (smaller) graph data folders (similar to maps)? So for my purposes I could load the graph data for Bayern, Baden Württemberg and Austria instead of DACH.

Unfortunately no, see details in my answer above.

I’m using ALPS map and graph data now and this works fine on my old MotoG3. There’s in fact a problem when using larger data amounts.

1 Like

I think, you could install some oft those (smaller) graph data folders and switch between them when needed.
If you consider offline routing only as a fallback when Internet is not available, you probably don’t need to switch too often.

Manfred

1 Like

Like I proposed here and if you have the time, it would be useful if you could build DACH area with desktop Cruiser and other options?

See my instructions at the announcement, just select “Flexible mode” and “Car” in “Graph options”.
It will take some time and because it’s a large region, if you have RAM can change Cruiser’s start script like mentioned.

So we can see if the graph creation mode plays a role in weaker phones.

@SchlesiM can you download a different dach.zip from here and try on that device again?

Yes, I can do that today in the evening and will report results as soon as possible.

I also can do this.

By the way: I tested the new version today during my drive to work. Worked as expected :+1:t3:. Offline routing is a huge improvement for serveral situations.

I only had the suspicion that the app automatically recalculated the route after missing a waypoint while being offline even if the navigation setting “rerouting” was deactivated. I’ll verify this when driving home again.

No need anymore for you to build a new graph.
I already did that in the linked location. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So I did and … it works! No problems on my old MotoG3 now. I even calculated a whole route from of about 200km length completely offline and it seems to work very well. Ok, it takes some time (I think additionally due to the fact that those new DACH data doesn’t use “speed mode”). But compared to the time some of the Garmin and TomTom devices take to calculate longer routes it’s still very (very!) acceptable! :+1:t4:

I noticed that now those “_fastest_car_edge_utc-1”-files are missing. They were meant to be used for a faster calculation, right?

I’ll give my MotoG3 an intensive “road test” tomorrow.

I tested the new version more concentrated on my way home. Tested a route with lots if “missed” waypoints, sometimes switched on/off data connection and also switched between automatic rerouting activated/deactivated. My suspicion was absolutely wrong: the behaviour always was exactly like expected. :+1:t4:

I’m really happy about this new offline mode. A great new and very helpful feature! Gone are the days I have to take a “fallback navigation” app with me (thus far I used Sygic for that purpose). :smile:

Seems like a small issue compared to the great offline feature but I really also like this adjustment. Because you’re right - it was somehow annoying :upside_down_face:.

2 Likes

Those new test graphs use the “flexible” (not “speed”) mode.
They need less memory, but have slower routing calculation.
So they seem more suitable for less capable mobile devices.

“Speed” mode graphs have different structure with extra preparation to offer faster routing.
Some technical details exist in this article:

By the way thanks very much for the detailed tests! :slightly_smiling_face:

Absolutely no problem. I’m really glad if can grant you at least a little bit of support for your great work. :smile:

In return I’m able to enjoy Kurviger for planning and navigating my rides. I’ll never ever revert to my old Garmin device :wink:.

Today I gave the new DACH graph data an intensive test on my way to work using my old MotoG3. And tadaaa: all went very well. No probs using this older device and absolutely acceptable performance if offline rerouting is necessary during the ride. :+1:t4:

After all I’m glad not being forced to purchase a newer (outdoor) smartphone for running Kurviger and serving as my motorcycle navigation device. This is an act of real hardware recycling and offfers the chance to give older devices a reasonable second life :wink:.

3 Likes

To avoid annoying startup messages for info that usually is needed on demand, a detailed info for the loaded data can appear (and be enriched in the future) via menu “Tools | Info”:

4 Likes

Dear Developers,
I just want to say thank you for that big step forward!
I can hardly wait to get back from skiing and start testing the new feature.
Cheers Frank

3 Likes