Kurviger.de | Application | Blog | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Legal Notice | Privacy Policy

Now that waypoint names and shaping points are available on the website it would be great if there would be an option to export these.

Waypoint names could be used in most export formats.
Shaping points in the export would be very interesting for the GarminShapingPoint export and in the ITN format.

Please let us know if you see other options where this can be handy as well.

Hi,

thats really good news…Im verry happy. Its makes it much easier for the pro app…thx a lot

Cine

Where the “sym” is used (instead of “type”) to define waypoint types?

The “sym” was also discussed here:

The popular Garmin Icon Range by sym.
https://www.javawa.nl/wpsymbols.html

I haven’t seen any GPX files recently that use the type for this. Many GPX files use sym to show different types of waypoints on the map. This is usually just visually, but that way it could be used in many GPX systems. As @0709 mentions, the sym is supported in many GPX systems.

We don’t mean here to include multiple colors or symbols.

Only to separate via from shaping points (e.g. true / false).

1 Like

Yes and it needs to be done in a way that other systems can understand. I haven’t seen the type tag in many GPX files and I think I have never seen it used for ShapingPoints. That said, it’s definitely good to add it to the type.

But maybe it would be good to also add it as sym so other systems can show a difference for the different points?

As well in the gpx element sym as in type one can add any text.

Sym: (text) Free (usefull)
Use (any) sym from the Garmin Icon range that many gps already understand.

• Start: Flag, Green
  • Finish: Flag, Red
  • Via Point: Flag, Blue
  • Shape Point: Pin, Green

Type: (text) Free (Info)
If attached than prefer “informative” “Via or Shape”.

“Type is hardly used”. Correct.

Sources I found that do add type text in wpt’s. (Purpose unknown)
RWGPS: “dot” (Informative ?)
Bikehike: “The tcx course PointType instructions” (Informative)
Garmin: “user” (Informative ?)

Have type.zip (82.5 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for providing the results of your research! That shows that there is at least a bit of type usage :slight_smile:. This helps a lot.

I was playing with some other tools to check if export of waypoint names is possible and can be imported into a Garmin Zumo XT

The ADAC website has a routing feature that is capable of generating a gpx export , the exported gpx file can be imported into the Garmin Zumo XT. the waypoint names will be transferred as Waypoints.

would it help to have an example of this gpx file to analyze?

Sure, please feel free to add sample files :slight_smile: - that said, names are well defined for the GPX export, so that feature should be relatively straight forward.