As proposed by @rumbrummer here: Website: Export Waypoint Names and Shaping Points - #18 by rumbrummer

Something like this could be added, when we add the Waypoint name export. So the output could be something like:

<name>(WP) Name</name>
<name>(SP) Name</name>

It would be good to find out who would be interested in this kind of feature? Please vote or provide a comment and maybe tell us a bit about your use case.

What happens when export a GPX with extra name prefixes,
then import it with those custom names and export it again?
Will it have multiple “(SPN) … (SPN)” prefixes?

Cannot expect GPX parsers to regex erase “(SPN)” in order to extract / use the original waypoint names.
Because if users happen to write a similar prefix intentionally, then they expect it to remain in the import.

My comment from that discussion is that names are set by users and expect them to remain unchanged.

1 Like

If it’s really needed for better support some 3rd-party devices / programs,
then it should be optional, via a new check box in website’s export dialog.

So not break the expected export of GPX names for the majority of users.

2 Likes

Yes, if enough people find this feature helpful, it could be added as an opt-in feature. I wouldn’t use this as default feature.

No, prefixes should be removed during import.
But I agree, this might lead to undesired effects. One possibility is to check the ‘creator’ tag of GPX to see if that GPX has been created by Kurviger - only in that case prefixes should be removed.
But that solution still does not solve an intentional prefix matching a regular expression (regex) used to remove prefixes.
A complex solution would be to store the info that a prefix has been added to a Kurviger specific extension of the route point and to use that information during reimport.
But I have some doubt, if that effort is worth it - probably other tasks have higher priority.