Unpaved Roads

Dear Kurviger Programmers,

I just signed up for the Abo of Tourer and during planning of a Tour I got the warning that one part migth be an unpaved road. The Tourer Abo also includes a Filter to avoid unpaved Roads.

As I am an Adventure Rider, I am of course interested to learn about unpaved Roads, hence cant you add a filter and invert it, so that we get a Filter that avoid normal roads if possible and instead just highlight unpaved ones.

Or from a given Starting point select a Diameter of e.g. 100 Km and show all unpaved roads or a rountrip with majority of unpaved track and roads.

Thanks and Best Regards
Odenwaelder.

1 Like

Oh yes it would be interesting to be able to choose unpaved roads as priorities, then curvy, less curvy, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the proposal. Improvements in the area of offroad route planning are on the long term list, right now there is no option for this unfortunately.

As a Kurviger Tourer you could try a setting like:

• Extra Curvy
  • Avoid Highways
  • Avoid Main Roads (use the highest strength - 5)

That should already result in routes on small roads and potentially unpaved (especially in less populated countries).

1 Like

In an area of the Catalan Pyrenees there is an easy track from Espinavell to Setcases.

If I want to do the route Camprodon - Espinavell - Setcases it makes me go down the road despite having put the right route properties.

If I put shapepoints 2 and 3 on the track it works.

Camprodon - Setcases 1.kurviger (7.2 KB)

Deleting them does not work. :weary:

Camprodon - Setcases 2.kurviger (12.1 KB)

You have selected “avoid unpaved”.
In OSM the road Way: ‪Camí de Setcases a Espinavell‬ (‪156623717‬) | OpenStreetMap is tagged as unpaved.

Without “avoid unpaved” Kurviger routes with the help of a single shaping point.

2 Likes

Okay, but if I say to avoid highways and avoid major roads I think it should go straight the track without having to put a shaping point, right?

There are many factors that are considered in this case. I agree that for planning mostly unpaved roads it should use that track, but right now, there is feature for that yet :slight_smile:

THis is exactly what I am looking for as well.

I am an ADV rider and want to avoid all paved roads! I wrote an overpassapi query that works pretty well and you can see it in action on a umap I created here:

http://u.osmfr.org/m/701978/

The reason why I would subscribe to the app is to have the ability to see and exploit unpaved roads to use them, not avoid them.

Is this in the works since this message has been posted?

1 Like

So far there are no news on this :slight_smile:.

I’d love to see a way to tell Kurvinger to prefer unpaved roads. I assume that the needed data is there as we have the ability to avoid them.

It would be a great option for dual sport and adventure riders. We often go looking for the “worst” route available between two points.

1 Like

I moved your request to an existing discussion :+1:

I knew al lot of riders which would like this option. But I also share the fear that this will lead to problems in Germany and Austria if people drive everywhere on such roads. (And often by overconfident drivers with loud exhausts).

2 Likes

No that’s also in Germany and Austria not the problem - if these unpaved road are legal. And for sure there are a lot of possibilities existing.
We’ve tried it in Germany (Bavaria), also in Austria and now in Slovenia and Croatia.
If OSM maps are actual and the roads are legal → you’ll find it with the avoidances:

• allow smallest road
  • allow unpaved road
  • function of “very curvy”

For me it was not necessary to deactivate main roads, highways etc. and we have always found the smallest tracks.
BR juschka

2 Likes