Time to say goodby ... (to my old navigation device)

I’m using smartphone based navigation with the Kurviger app quite for a while now. But I still kept my old Garmin Zumo 220 as a fallback device (and sometimes for comparing functionalities).

But now the time has come to make the final change: today I removed the Garmin clamp from my bike. I’m completely smartphone driven now. After some last tries and tests to use my Zumo (or any other standalone navigation device) instead of Kurviger I’m pretty sure I’ll never get back to it again.

Before:

After:

3 Likes

Looks a lot cleaner now :slight_smile:, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Happy to help for more neat motorcycle consoles. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

In my case it’s now the third summer I guess, that I don’t take my old Medion Navigation system as a reserve on my rides and travels anymore.

I still have it - but it rests in peace somewhere … :grin:

2 Likes

Some questions which kept me from changing from my old garmin:
-is the phone waterproof? Which is it?
-is the charger and usb-plug waterproof?
-does the touchscreen work with gloves?

I,ve tried using the phone as gps, even had a waterproof model, but the charger wasnt waterproof and the connector wore out after some hundret kms. And water drops on the display led to unwanted behaviour.
If these points are ok now, i’d be happy to try again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to admit that the situation in a car, as in my case, may be different from a bike.

Therefore THIS question should be better answered by the bikers here.

It’s an older Moto G (3rd Gen.) which is actually waterproof (there are Youtube videos existing where poeple completely dive it under water without getting damaged). But with the mount I use it would be even possible to fit the phone into an additional (zip) bag while driving in heavy rain.

I have to admit that most of the times I’m riding in dry weather. But it seems to be Ok, even in rain (depends on the mounting position and angle). You should keep in mind that even TomTom uses touchscreen technology in their current motorcycle navigation devices.

I still use my old Garmin power cable (was for a Zumo 220) which is connected inside my bike. At the (new) USB-connector for my smartphone I added a small elastic ring (similar like Garmin does with it’s connector cables). If used in heavy rain with an additional bag, the power cable comes out at the lower side of the bag, which is Ok.

In recent times I use special gloves (Digi Montana) which are capable of operating touchscreens. Some smartphones have a special “glove mode” in which you can even operate them with regular gloves (but it rises the risk for “ghost inputs” if driving in rain). I additionally attached a small touchpen at my bar to be able to operate the display (only if standing still of course). All in all it’s absolutely Ok. Especially if you’re getting used not to operate the phone while driving (which is much more saver for your health of course).

Thanks for the details.
Imho the problems are mostly waterproofness and charging. Even the waterproof phones are mostly not proof when the charger is plugged in.
But if it works for you, it’s good. I’ll stop hijacking your thread now :wink:

Hello,
i´m changed to Smartphone Use too. I use a Galaxy S7, with a SP Connect Case and wireless Charger.
The USB Connector to my Ligther Plug in Cockpit works well, even in heavy Rain .

Works fine, with waterproof charching of my Samsung Galaxy S7

1 Like

1600 km Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Austria
Kurviger pro is great, don’t need my TomTom anymore!

Just the two already discussed features would make it even better then now:
Offline Routing
Avoid Road Blocks in x00 meters

Great app!!!

3 Likes

Additionally I’d like to see (also already discussed):

• namesable waypoints
  • different waypoint types (visit- and shaping-points)
  • more comfortable way to dowload/update maps

I’m pretty sure we’ll see most of these features in future versions. Then (in my opinion) nothing beats Kurviger’s functionality and powerfulness for motorcycle navigation. Of course other solutions may come close but it’s the details and customizeability what makes the difference.

3 Likes