Speed Limit warning in Alsace 65km/h - why?

[EN] I was riding in Alsace last Saturday and got a little confused by Kurviger telling me about a speed limit of 65 km/h on several tertiary highways (OSM). One example is D104 (Way: ‪D 104‬ (‪24150349‬) | OpenStreetMap). I checked the object on OSM and did not find an attribute of such a speed limit. According to OSM documentation the speed limit for such type of object should be 80 km/h (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Maxspeed#France). Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason for this behaviour?

[DE] Am Samstag war ich im Elsass unterwegs und da hat mich Kurviger etwas mit Ansagen zu einer Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung von 65 km/h etwas verwirrt. Ein Beispiel ist die D104. Ich habe das Objekt auf OSM angeschaut und keine solche Eigenschaft gefunden. Nach der Dokumentation müsste doch die Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung für ein solches Objekt 80 km/h sein. Hat jemand eine Idee was der Grund für dieses Verhalten sein könnte?

1 Like

Do you mean this route?

Checking the kurviger file, the max speed is reported as 65 km/h.

The other way round - but yes. I did not see any restriction sign on this and the other roads where this happened to me. I was wondering based on which information Kurviger reports the max speed limit as 65 km/h. To my knowledge, it should be 80 km/h and I did not see any attribute in OSM indicating a speed limit of 65 for this road or highway type.

details":{"route_information":[[0,23,""]],"max_speed":[[0,23,65]]}

I guess, this is the information you are referring to? I looked at the file myself after you mentioned it.

Navigation’s speed limits (and street names) are provided in the calculated routes.
You can verify them by checking the kurviger route files.

Where does Kurviger get them from? I extended the route a little (Kurviger) and am seeing that there are parts of the route with no (explicit) speed limit. Within villages, it should be 50 km/h in France. And then again the route has a part with 65 km/h.

max_speed":[[0,77,65],[77,96,null],[96,150,null],[150,190,65]]

Is the calculation of speed limits broken in France? I have not yet had issues in Germany.
I was suspecting wrong attributes in OSM first, but can’t find any to fix.

Thanks for reporting this. It might be that there is an issue, I will investigate this.

Thanks again for reporting this, I could localize a minor issue that resulted in incorrect maxspeeds for some situations. The fix should be visible by Wednesday afternoon.

2 Likes

Thanks for looking into this!
I love Kurviger and the community around it.