Should Addresses be used as Names / Sollten Adressen als Namen verwendet werden

This is a follow up on the discussion here: Website: Waypoint names - #45 by rumbrummer

The question is, if you lookup a place through the search, for example:

• “Strandcafe, Adlerstraße, 12, 79098, Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany”
  • “Hauptstraße, 12, 79104, Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany”
  • “Stelvio Pass, 23032, Bormio, Lombardy, Italy”

Should these results be automatically used as the name of a place or would you prefer to set the names manually? This would also mean if you export this as GPX then the name would be shown on your navigation device instead of “Waypoint 7”.

Currently, users need to confirm this, by clicking into the input and select the option “set as name”
Screenshot from 2020-07-13 10-23-22

What do you think?

Das ist ein Thema das als Follow-Up aus diesem Thema entstanden ist: Website: Waypoint names - #45 by rumbrummer

Die Frage ist, ob ein Ergebnis aus der Ortssuche als Name verwendet werden soll, z.B.:

• “Strandcafe, Adlerstraße, 12, 79098, Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany”
  • “Hauptstraße, 12, 79104, Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany”
  • “Stelvio Pass, 23032, Bormio, Lombardy, Italy”

Sollten diese Ergebnisse automatisch als Namen gesetzt werden? Oder wäre es besser diese manuell zu setzen, und dann eventuell anzupassen? Diese Namen würden dann z.B. auch an ein Navi via GPX übertragen werden. Dann würde der Name so auf dem Navi angezeigt werden.

Aktuell müssen Nutzer den Namen bestätigen indem sie auf das Textfeld klicken und dann “Setze als Name” auswählen:
Screenshot from 2020-07-13 10-23-22

Was denkst du?

• The address should be set as name automatically | Die Adresse sollte automatisch als Name gesetzt werden
  • The name should be confirmed by the user | Der Name sollte vom Nutzer bestätigt werden
0 voters

Kurzer Einwurf, ich hoffe er passt zum Thema. Mich “stört” eher die Ansage der Adresse, diese wird komplett angesagt, was bei “langen” Adressen dauert…

Short interjection, I hope it fits the theme. What “bothers” me is the announcement of the address, it is announced completely, which takes time with “long” addresses…

Genau, das ist einer der Gründe weshalb ich mich gegen das automatische Setzen der Adressen entschieden habe.

2 Likes

Hi,

den Wunsch, bei akustischer Ansage keinen Roman zu einem Routenpunkt erzählt zu bekommen, kann ich selbstverständlich nachvollziehen - auch wenn ich selbst ohne Headset (also ohne Navi-Ton) fahre

Ich bin von einem User meines Konverters auch gebeten worden, eine Möglichkeit vorzusehen, den ViaPoints (nur die werden bei Garmin angesagt) kurze Namen zu geben, diese Option wurde in ca. 15% der Konvertierungen genutzt.

Mich selbst interessiert die automatische Namensvergabe für POIs, in der Regel Pässe. Kurviger trägt in das Feld “address” nach der Suche den Namen des Passes ein, gefolgt von der Adresse, durch Komma abgetrennt.

Im Konverter nehme ich bereits jetzt den “address”-Eintrag als Namen für den Routenpunkt, wenn kein expliziter Name vergeben wurde, schneide allerdings ab dem ersten Komma ab - das funktioniert für die Pässe ganz gut.

Vielleicht sollte man nicht die Adresse des Ergebnisses jeder Suche übernehmen, sondern unterscheiden: Wurde ein POI ausgewählt (letzte Zeile des Ergebnisses im Auswahlmenü z.B. natural, mountain_pass), wird der Name übernommen - dann am besten nur bis zum 1. Komma. Wurde eine Adresse ausgewählt (letzte Zeile des Ergebnisses z.B. highway, building).

Ich weiß aber natürlich nicht, ob das so einfach ist - im .kurviger-File ist diese Info (letzte Zeile) nicht mehr drin.

Ciao Markus

1 Like

Was man eventuell zusätzlich machen könnte, eine Option beim Export, dass die Adresse automatisch als Name in der GPX/.kurviger Datei gesetzt wird. Dadurch könnte sich das Problem ganz gut lösen lassen?

1 Like

Where, on waypoint names?
Route waypoints (can) already have names before the export.

In the export modal, users could opt-in to automatically get the address as name, if no name is set.

Probably mean only for the website, as the application works differently.

Hi,
I agree, as already mentioned here:

I just did a few tries with the app: If I search an address in a city, the app copies the street name to waypoint name.

From my point of view this is a good compromise between given information and short waypoint name - I think usually there are not multiple addresses with same street name within one route.

I think Robins proposal is a good solution:

Regards Markus

App copies the “address name” (i.e. bubble title), could be location or poi name, etc.
(works similarly with bookmarks)

If users need more or less info, they could change the name themselves afterwards.
During route export the app simply uses whatever names exist already in waypoints.
(that’s the simplest workflow)

1 Like

Yes, this topic is about the website :+1:

Hi,

has nothing to do with the names, but I think it would be easier if 1. first everything appears as ViaPoints, and then for certain things like search you have the choice between the names of the address, your own name or nothing.

With Poi`s it could be helpful, e.g. with gas station, to have “gas station AVIA” as selection.

Cine

Hi,
I am sorry if this is already available, but I couldn’t find an easy solution to my problem.

Currently the Waypoints are being exported with the name Waypoint 1, Waypoint 2, etc…

When I search for a waypoint, I am searching by name (e.g. Alicante), why can’t I export the name as Alicante? The only solution is to copy the name and edit the waypoint changing its name.

Thanks for your help,
Franz

1. If you want a waypiont have a name, you need to give it an individual name
    See this route example

2. You need to check “export WP-Names” in export dialog

1 Like

Can you provide an example route (shortlink or .kurviger file)?

I think that issue is solved by my converter, I want to check it.

There are 2 other discussions concerning the naming of search results:

(@moderators : Pehaps this thread should be moved into the first one?)