App: Alarm away from route

It’s not meaningless, its purpose was always to notify when get off route, like the warning symbol on screen.

“Alive” messages are different concept, which we can examine based on their usefulness and implementation.

Don’t get me worng. The route missed message is useful, but I don’t think it does help to repeat it.

@linux-user that’s understandable, just wanted to note that they are different concepts, so need to see how we can proceed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Linux-User, hi devemux
I see no substantial difference between repeating an off-route warning for a certain times and “alive” or “on-track” messages. Thanks for your input, btw. One’s a negative confirmation, the other one’s a positive confirmation.

To repeat my point and to make it also (hopefully) a bit clearer:

• visual navigation is extremely dangerous, especially with smart phones! Don’t do it!
  • fiddling with smartphones while driving is forbidden and costly. Where’s the line between smartphone and nav-system, especially when it comes to damage suits?
  • powerful audio based capabilities therefore are important for bike usage

So, I would see a configurable message system as a strong added value for this program. Configurable messages can mean positive confirmations, negative confirmations/warnings, nice and clearly readable beeps, beep patterns maybe, things like that.

I think most of us here are on the same page regarding the content or the idea of the above. The detailing of course can vary and is a matter of what could be implemented based on the structure of your program.

I really don’t agree with that at all. For me visual navigation is in fact safer than acoustic one because it’s clearer and offers less chances for wrong interpretations (which means less stress while being navigated).

I also appreciate the fact that with visual navigation I’m able to identifiy the distance to the next instruction with a quick glance. This way I’m not forced to look at the display all the time because I know approximately when it’s time to do so.

For me navigation devices (regardless if standalone or smartphone) are a real improvement for saveness because using them is much more comfortable than fiddling with a paper map placed in a tank bag (especially if your eyes are getting worse), like I did years before.

Here I absolutely agree. This is the reason why it’s so important for me that my navigation system can be configured for my personal needs (e.g. display/map appearance and some navigation behaviours) so that I don’t have to operate any controls while driving (even in “difficult” situations like after missing a turn or being forced to take a detour). This is one of them reasons why I like the Kurviger app so much.

The only acoustic input I want while driving is my wife’s voice (she’s usually driving on her own bike behind me) over our (simple) intercom system (despite my exhaust, of course :upside_down_face:). I don’t want to have this “mixed up” with navigation instructions. Especially because we’re frequently informing each other before taking a turn (like “I’ll turn off after the third, red car”, “free and save for a long distance”, “beware, I’ll stop completey before I turn into this street just to be sure” or so). I really don’t want to be interrupted by my navigation app or even have communication issues because the system is switching audio sources.

I think we can conclude: it depends a lot on your personal preferences and circumstances. So the most valuable navigation system is a flexible one.

3 Likes

I think such things would be OK as long as it can be configured (like many other features strongly depending on personal preferences).

Basically, I agree. But my point was: The more stuff you can adjust inside an app, the less accessible it is for a novice. Look at the last ratings of Kurviger at Google Play. Most negative comments there are the result of not really going into the details of this app. They are complaining about things that are adjustable, but they didn’t take the time to really pay attention to the features. The more you make adjustable, the longer it needs to understand the basics of Kurviger. Means: The more versatile the app becomes by adding more and more features, the bigger the danger of getting downrated by people that do not really go into the details before rating.

So, my opinion: Keep it as simple as possible for the sake of the whole Kurviger project.
We all have demands and wishes, but not every personal demand is good for the whole project.

1 Like

Got your point, but I’m still sure that one of Kurviger’s strengths is that it’s very customizable. For beginners it should be fine if all default values of configuration settings have reasonable values.

But I also agree: settings shouldn’t be too exotic.

2 Likes

“Route verpasst” ist auch mein Problem!

Für mich ist wichtig, das ich mitbekomme, wenn ich eine Nachricht/Anruf bekomme. Deshalb sind die Helmlautsprecher am Smartphone angeschloßen.
Beim Routing kommt dann die Audiounterstützung vom Handy, Navi dient zur bildlischen Unterstützung.
Wenn ich die geplante Route verlasse oder verlassen muß, orientiere ich mich weiter mit dem Navi. Das berechnet mir eine Strecke zum nächsten, anzufahrenden Wegpunkt.
So etwas leistet Kurviger nicht, auch nicht mit einer Internetverbindung.

Route indicator direction arrow already exists and next version will provide also the distance. Can see image in relevant topic:

Das sollte eigentlich in der Standardeinstellung wunderbar funktionieren mit Kurviger. Falls nicht, wäre es schön, wenn du uns in einem neuen Beitrag ein paar mehr Infos und ein nachvollziehbares Beispiel schicken könntest, dann können wir das gern prüfen.

I consider that (from the link one post earlier) a lot of info on a relatively small ‘handy’ display, usually under a protective cover, mostly in direct sunlight, on other days with raindrops over the relevant points etc. (some don’t care too much about rainy days, obviously some don’t care too much about their smartphones, too).
So I consider this way a dead end. Next additional informations considered to be helpful and important and so to be shown/implented on-screen will be beyond the resolutional capabilities of the average user.
B/R

There are different needs per user, some use the app with display, others with sound and many in a car.

There isn’t any additional information. When be out of route, naturally cannot navigate with turn instructions without a rerouting, so the empty panels are used to show the route direction / distance.

Topic seems more for notify when go out or resume the route with some voice?

Yep, that was my intention. If by whatever reason I’m not able or not willing to be fixed to my ‘handy’ screen, especially in difficult and as such potentially lethal (sic!) situations, I have to rely to what messages I get from from the App and how clearly understandable these messages are.
My consideration in this topic was a configurable negative warning like ‘you’re lost’ or, in my language, ‘Route verpasst’. Others chimed in and opted for a positive ‘still alive and on-track’ confirmation, as an early pre-info about the next bend for instance (very nice idea btw.). Understandable in this regard for me also means 'tell it me more often than only once - ‘till I eventually heard it’.
Combine that with a clear ‘welcome back’ message and you have exactly what I suggested.

In another topic I suggested a configurable acoustical signal in another form, as it could be helpful to be allowed to choose your own signals for better attention, like beeps or voices in other pitches etc. (different topic).

I forgot to mention: of course I know about the enervating annoyance of an unstoppable “Bitte wenden!” instruction :wink:

THX

I can add (as option) a repeating alarm with adjustable interval triggered when get out of route.
For convenience it can work with Android’s integrated tones.

When get back on route, alarm stops its repeating sound, so know that everything is ok again.
Following the usual warning theory: no alarm -> no problem.

Ich nutze die visuelle Darstellung (Smartphone steckt auf dem Lenker) als auch die akustische via Bluetooth in den Helm. Den Hinweis “Route verpasst” finde ich sehr hilfreich. Das ist natürlich ärgerlich, falls das versehentlich passiert und man eine Gruppe anführt. Aber ich weiß Bescheid und kann entweder weiter fahren und selber einen Weg zur Route zurück finden, umdrehen, oder eine Neuberechnung starten. Eine Wiederholung der Ansage bzw eines Warntons wünsche ich nicht. Wenn die Einstellung der Wiederholfrequenz auf Null gestellt ist, möchte ich einmalig die Ansage “Route verpasst” hören und dann entscheiden, ob ich handeln möchte (Neuberechnung) oder nicht. Das fand ich bisher gut und würde es auch weiterhin gut finden. Das man einen Warnton zusätzlich regelmäßig hören könnte, sollte man einstellen können, so wie es ja jetzt in 1.10.1 auch ist.

I use the visual representation (smartphone is on the handlebars) as well as the acoustic via Bluetooth in the helmet. The hint “route missed” I find very helpful. This is of course annoying, if that happens accidentally and you lead a group. But I know and can either go on and find a way back to the route, turn around, or start a recalculation. I do not wish a repetition of the announcement or a warning tone. ** If the refresh rate setting is set to zero, I would like to hear once the announcement “route missed” ** and then decide whether I want to respond (recalculation) or not. I thought that was good so far and would still like it. That you could hear a warning sound additionally regularly, you should be able to adjust, as it is now in 1.10.1 also.

[ich bekomme die fette Schrift nicht weg :frowning: ]

We had already far too many complaints for the route missed message.
Could be because their GPS is jumping (though we have active inertia).
There has to be a way to disable all these messages / tones completely.

Current workflow allows an optional repeated tone from completely off up to 60" (where message is announced once). Or we could set it at a larger timer, e.g. 2 min?

I’ll see if can add separate options to cover all needs:

• Off route warning (spoken once)
  • Off route repeated tone
1 Like

The forum uses Markdown :wink:
The " ##" at the beginning mark your text as headline which makes it appear bold.

Manfred

1 Like

Implemented in Kurviger 1.10.5.