Praise and question

First the praise.
As a Garmin-user since decades I dared to go to the Nordkapp on my tour this year and left all the garmin toys at home. Instead I planned and drove the whole 7000 km tour with kurviger.de.
And what can I say, it worked out fine.
Of course you always have to keep an eye on whether you have network coverage or if there is WLAN on the campground. Most of the time I planned the next day trip in the evening and saved it as *.kurviger. Thus I was then at least a little bit independent of the net.
I used an actually discarded Samsung A5 (2017) with “Spider-app”. Hotspot was a Pocophone F1 in case of emergency.
The A5 withstood really bad weather well.

But one thing surprised me and this leads me to the question:
For example, I planned a route along the Norwegian coast from Bodo to Kilboghavn. On the 250km route there are a few ferries. The app has calculated a journey time of more than 8 hours, which is absolutely unrealistic. This time estimate remained until after the last ferry, then the app jumped to the real arrival time.

My question:
How is the crossing with a ferry considered in the algorithm?
I had assumed that the app calculates the arrival at the ferry port and then knows the timetable of the ferry to calculate the next ferry and the resulting arrival time. (Joke)
But even if you had missed a ferry and had to take the one after next, the times don’t fit.
This phenomenon happened to me several times on routes with several ferry passages.
Otherwise I am absolutely happy with kurviger.de and from today’s point of view I will not replace my Garmin, if it quits the service, but drive on with kurviger.de.

3 Likes

Wow first of all congrats to the nice vacation! And if the arrival times were the only thing that caused problems then that’s really good news and a big compliment for kurviger

So what was the actual time? How far off was it?? I’m super curious!

In OSM, you can add a duration for a ferry crossing. If there is no duration, we estimate the crossing time to be quite slow. It shouldn’t add unnecessary hours though, could you provide an example? Maybe somebody added an incorrect duration?

Also see our documentation about ferries.

1 Like

Unfortunately I did not save all the files I calculated on site. However, the time difference was considerable. kurviger.de calculated 9 hours for the route, I actually needed 6.5 hours. The arrival time at the finish was calculated with 21:15h at the start and stayed at this value until the last ferry. Only when I left the ferry, the arrival time jumped to the realistic 19:20h.

I attached the route and the track as gpx (from Basecamp) and as kurviger.de files.

11.07.2019_2.gpx (379.1 KB) 11.07.2019_2.kurviger (15.8 KB) A13_Moskenes bis Polar - Hilstad (11.07.19).gpx (220.0 KB) A13_MoskenesbisPolar-Hilstad(11.07.19).kurviger (13.3 KB)

For example here, is a longer ferry stretch that has no duration tagged: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/25099828

I guess if you add the correct duration, Kurviger should be able to calculate a more accurate ETA.