Points of interest

What other points of interest do you think would be useful to be included in maps and the layers menu?

Current points of interest:

2 Likes

I vote for ATMs.
Also the layer resulting from my experience in navigation are religious centers (churches, cemeteries). Personally, I am not religious, so I do not have such a “spiritual need”, but such places are excellent landmarks in the area. Church towers can be seen from many kilometers and help to correlate the map with the environment :slight_smile:

ATM?
Looking in Google there i found several meanings for this abbreviation.
Some examples: At The Moment, Adobe Type Manager, Automated Teller Machine, …

Here in the forum there are a lot of readers which are not native speaking english and a lot of them don’t know all abbreviations existing on this planet.

Therefore to make life easier for readers and developers and to avoid questions for further information:

When using abbreviations it would be fine to add minimum one time (perhaps in brackets) the meaning of the abbreviation.

1 Like

For reference can see OpenStreetMap lists for amenity and tourism.

1 Like

ATM in OpenStreetMap

1 Like

At what zoom level should POIs been shown?

• Gas stations are shown at zoom ≥10
  • as of V1.11.8 (beta):
    • Hospitals at zoom ≥15
    • Pharmacies at zoom ≥16
      :thinking:

You are absolutely right! Sorry… Although the abbreviation is widely used, I should specify that I mean a banking machine.

1 Like

That depends greatly on the POI number in each category in map layers menu.
Zoom levels are not set in stone, but above all are map performance & visibility.

Certainly cannot work or expect speed with such map appearance.
OpenStreetMap website is a useful guide for POI min-zoom levels.

I suggest completing the “Tourist attractions” layer with the at least “ruins”, “castle” and maybe “monument” tags from OpenStreetMap Key:historic https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:historic . I realize that this is a lot of data but there are a lot of very very interesting places marked there.

1 Like

Castles are already included, see edited 1st post for all current POI.

Yes I know, but there are only those that are tagged Tag:tourism=attractions. Unfortunately, there are not all the castles I know (e.g. the Royal Castle in Warsaw :slight_smile: ). But I noticed that some of them are marked as Tag:historic=castle - that’s why my proposal to add the “historic” OSM key.

1 Like

See the 1st post, both historic=castle and tourism=attraction are included.

In fact, I have now noticed that the edited post #1, in which you wrote that both keys are included… So I have to look closely at the points on OSM :slight_smile:

The motorcycle pub, where I spent my life some time ago, is tagged “amenity=bar” in OSM. Maybe you will attach this tag to the “Gastronomy” layer in Kurviger.

Because we’re doing classic touring in unknown areas we’re interested in:

• fuel stations
  • tourism points / viewing points
  • hotels etc.

My personal opinion…
BR
juschka

Maybe you could add to the accommodation layer also:

Aren’t chalets usually rented elsewhere and are therefore not really the thing you need on the map?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Import POI

2 posts were split to a new topic: Buildings tourism=attraction not visible

I’d like to see icecream cafe’s :slight_smile

amenity"=“ice_cream”

Because for self-importing (overlay or own POI) necessary usability features are missing:

• As Overlay: Hide in low (high?) zoom levels, like gas stations
  • switch displaying on/off, like gas stations
  • As POI: Folders/Categories with different colors
  • Also performance is very slow showing them permanently (test with 7000)

Ref:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/bbd
https://blog.openstreetmap.de/blog/2015/09/wochenaufgabe-eisdielen/

Best regards

Not even the “profi” app AroundMe offers ice cream parlors, and then a navigation software is supposed to implement this nonsense?
Maybe I am biased: the only POIs I use (only if really needed) are gas stations.

1 Like