Phone freezes / stops / very slow after opening offline maps

Not sure, but it seems that there is a technical issue that roads are rendered too thick on @Teun’s device? The regular Kurviger map rendering is thicker roads compared to the default VTM theme to make it easy to identify roads during navigation.

1 Like

The netherlands map seems to be very demanding on the device.
There my phone also slows down to a frame rate of ~2-3 fps (with vegetation on).

And even the menue becomes slow when I view netherlands.map
Turning vegetation off makes a big difference here.

@Teun try panning around in the south German/Austrian area :wink:

BTW
Netherlands at similar zoom level as above looks “normal” here
settings | about | info
Kurviger Pro 1.11.6
Android 8.0.0 (API 26)
samsung SM-G930F
1080 x 1920 (480 dpi)
Google location on

Manfred

1 Like

That could be, since it’s not a normal roads rendering, like demonstrated above for same screen DPI.

Several OEMs offer display modify options of resolution / dpi / etc. that can make the rendering worse.

Would be interesting if there are users with similar large screen resolutions to post some screenshots.
e.g. 1440 x 3040 pixels

Kurviger Pro 1.11.6
Android 8.0.0 (API 26)
samsung SM-G930F
1440 x 2560 (640 dpi)
Google location on

:astonished: It doesn’t recover to normal rendering, when resolution is set back to FHD

Edit:
Rebooting the phone restored the rendering to normal

1 Like

This will help: I just discovered that I only get the thick roads when increasing resolution from lower to 3040 WITHOUT restarting the app. When I close and restart Kurviger, it looks normal again. Sorry if I caused confusion.

2 Likes

Indeed restarting the device and / or the applications after making such core changes in Android settings is often the easiest way to make sure that everything is initialized again with the new settings.

Sorry, I do not see that to be an answer, or probably i am just lacking some basic understanding to understand. I will rephrase my question a bit below, maybe that helps?

I use same downloaded maps in K and Cr (not GL) and I think the Cr look and speed is superior to the way K is handling these maps. So why can K not do the same as Cr (not GL) ?

Thx

Cruiser cannot be faster than Cruiser GL, only “appears” in specific area / zoom / test.
Software rendering can never be faster than OpenGL hardware accelerated rendering.

More an illusion because of the heavy nature polygons in the specific DE & NL areas.
That’s why there is option to turn off Vegetation layer if users find it difficult in devices.

Cruiser GL platform offers map rotation / tilt, smooth scaling, improved labeling, etc.
Some are essential for navigation, users will start asking why any of them is missing.

Map appearance is something subjective, some may like it, other may not.
That’s a subject for a different topic, like ideas to improve map colors, etc.

I am comparing Cruiser and Kurviger here, not Cruiser and Cruiser GL. Still would appreciate an asnwer on that.

Wrt Cruiser CL: it totally not runs on my phone. It freezes and makes my phone crash. Definately not “appears”. Find someone with a S10 and try :slight_smile:

Kurviger is based on Cruiser (GL) platform, cannot say anything more on that.

Then can disable Vegetation layer for those heavy maps (as proposed above).

By the way Kurviger 1.11.8 (Beta) solved that, (Cruiser GL is not yet updated).

I could try further offline map rendering improvements, but need detailed feedback for current situation.

Testing Germany & Netherlands maps, since they have numerous heavy complicated nature polygons.

@Teun and everyone else:
Which zoom levels from 8-9-10-11 have still problems with Kurviger 1.11.6 (Beta)?
Can you post details for each zoom level, to see how each one can be improved?

Karten Germany und Netherlands von https://offline-maps.kurviger.de/, Handy Kurviger Pro 1.11.6
Android 9 (API 28) HUAWEI PCT-L29 1080 x 2310 (480 dpi) Google location off. Kartenebenen Tankstellen, Gastronomie, Hausnummern und Vegetation. Minimales Ruckeln bei 20 km bzw. Zoom 9.0. Allerdings kann ich mir nicht vorstellen das so Jemand fährt…

Maps Germany and Netherlands by https://offline-maps.kurviger.de/, Handy Kurviger Pro 1.11.6
Android 9 (API 28) HUAWEI PCT-L29 1080 x 2310 (480 dpi) Google location off. Map levels petrol stations, gastronomy, house numbers and vegetation. Minimal jerking at 20 km or zoom 9.0. However, I can’t imagine someone driving like that…

1 Like

Hmm, that really depends on the selected area.
Kurviger Pro 1.11.6
Android 8.0.0 (API 26)
samsung SM-G930F
1080 x 1920 (480 dpi)
all layers on

Map center near Tilburg Netherlands:

• 13.1 => perfect smooth
  • 12.9 - 12.1 => ~1-3 fps
  • 11.9 - 11.1 => nearly smooth ~10 fps
  • 10.9 - 10.1 => ~3 fps
  • 9.9 - 9.1 => ~10 fps
  • 8.9 - 8.1 => ~5-10 fps
  • 7.9 => perfect smooth

Map center near Utrecht Netherlands

• 13.1 => perfect smooth
  • 12.9 - 12.1 => ~3-5 fps
  • 11.9 - 11.1 => ~5-10 fps
  • 10.9 - 10.1 => ~3-5 fps
  • 9.9 - 9.1 => ~3-5 fps
  • 8.9 - 8.1 => 3-5 fps
  • 7.9 => perfect smooth

Please take the fps rates with a grain of salt, as I’ve estimated them, and the performance is not constant either.
But the zoom level thresholds should be very close :thinking:

Manfred

2 Likes

Kurviger is based on Cruiser (GL) platform, cannot say anything more on that.

Pretty frustrating this. I do not understand your explanation and have the feeling that I am just not getting an answer to a direct question. I appear to miss some basic information which is obvious to you, or something, I don’t know. I will stop discussing this now. I will use Cruiser (not GL) for importing gpx files and I will enjoy the more beautiful and faster offline map experience. Hopefully you will not change that with an update.

Which zoom levels from 8-9-10-11 have still problems with [Kurviger 1.11.6 (Beta)]
As said, after restarting the app the very thick lines are now less thick and the yerkiness of map and menu on 3040 is not great but acceptable.

I had to wait 53 min to be able to post this reply, because I hit the daily quotum for a new user its says. Pfff!

Enjoy your driving, don’t watch the gps too much :slight_smile: Speak to you later maybe. Teun

1 Like

Very nice of you to accept this Teun, and thanks a LOT for all the details. I think we can all agree that your posts were not spam :wink: the daily quota is a feature of the forum software in general and nothing against you :smiley:

1 Like

What was the exact question? :slightly_smiling_face:
Why Kurviger is based on Cruiser GL platform and not on Cruiser platform instead?
That was the design from the start, because of the many GL features / advantages.
It’s like asking why we don’t prefer Google Maps or Mapbox map engines software.

Each forum software has features and rules which all who participate are following. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you encounter issues like that, please don’t hesitate to send us a message. In the first 24 hours of signing up in the forum there are some extra restrictions to restrict spambots etc. I raised the limit a bit so it’s a bit harder to hit the limit now. I think the issue was that you replied multiple times (and then deleted these duplicated messages), therefore you came closer to the 24 hour post limit.

1 Like

Kurviger 1.11.7 (Beta) contains a final set of offline maps rendering improvements for even faster performance.

Solved in Kurviger 1.11.9.