App: Offline routing (GraphHopper)

Hi Patrick,
yes, i do know the difference between navigation and routing. planning at home is fine for a day or a weekend, but not if you’re away for longer and don’t know where the journey will take you.

If you have another mobile device with Internet connection, you can share internet by tethering via bluetooth
english HOWTO
german HOWTO

Manfred

1 Like

True, sorry didn’t mean to patronize, just wanted to make sure because lots of people have not heard of the offline navigation yet :slight_smile:

Well, let’s just hope for the best for this feature request.

Everybody has different strategies how to discover new routes.
For me, the missing offline navigation capabilties of Kurviger is an advantage, because this forces me to actually go for the planned roads and not follow (sometimes) more convenient roads in front of my wheels. The new in-built arrow, that shows you the direction, where your originally planned road goes, is absolutely adequate to find back to the track and is enough emergency if I have to face unexpected deviations or road closures.
This way, I have found the best areas I had never estimated that they even exist. I am never online on my trips, by the way.
But all my arguments are part of my personal way to discover new landscapes and do no mean, that I can’t understand, what the other arguments here are good for.
Yours Michael

3 Likes

Note:
Navigation and routing are two completely different things.
Navigation is offline, routing is online. :slightly_smiling_face:

Coming from:

Yea, great to hear.
Fastest route would be fine for a situation where you don’t have internet connection.
Would be nice, if you can provide offline graphs on Kurviger server.

As a first step, the user could switch between offline-routing and online-routing.
In the future it might be great if the app could switch automatically to offline routing, as a fall back if online routing is not available.

Manfred

1 Like

Cruiser platform (which Kurviger uses) already has offline routing, so I have little work there.

Now imagine we drive a Kurviger route, go off route and want to do an offline rerouting back to it. Then we have to combine 2 different route types together, that could be the tricky part. :wink:

2 Likes

Kurviger pro app has the ability to show “all curvy routes” at once.
User can switch between them. Maybe a similar mechanism could be implemented for offline routing.

Maybe offline routing could be implemented as a fallback solution simply for getting back to the route while being offside.

Which means that it only will get you to a certain point without replacing the whole route. That point could be optional (like today’s options for the route indicator): nearest point, next instruction, next waypoint, destination. Or it could simply adopt the current route indicator option, what makes sense because this is the location where the indicator’s pointing at.

This way temporarily there would exist two routes: the original one (which will be unchanged) and the fallback one (which is shorter and only routes to the next point according to the current options).

If both routes would be displayed on the map (according to linux-user’s proposal), this would be a very convenient and intuitively understandable solution. So Kurviger would always tell you: “hey, you’re off the route at the moment, but I’ll show you how to get back to it quickly (even if you’re in the ‘land of no connections’)”.

I think such a solution could really “boost” Kurviger because it would be somehow unique and very helpful while some competitors (like Calimoto) still have to be online for calculating routes.

Would also be a good solution if you’re driving with the automatic recalcutation option switched off!

If there’s no route existing (because it was created while being online or was imported from a file before), the whole route must be calculated offline of course. Without having the advantages of the special algorithms but still being as good as most other navigation apps or devices because it still considers all the additional waypoints which could be set to shape the route.

2 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Offline routing et cetera

A post was merged into an existing topic: Offline routing et cetera

Thanx for correction!

Hi. I am Robert and new in the forum and not sure if this is the right thread to respond.

I live close to the alps and use kurviger to plan routes on my PC since motoplaner was not longer available. I love kurviger for planning and would like to express my appreciation to the developer team (?) - I read somewhere it’s only 1 person - unbelievable!
Until now I planned my trips in kurviger and exported them to my TomTom Rider 2003. I also love my TomTom but as I got tired to check the routes on my TomTom in detail before I start (to be sure it follows the routes planned in Kurviger) I bought the kurviger pro app.

Since a week I am testing the pro app in my home area before going to the next tour through the alps in 2 weeks, using offline maps. And in fact the first thing I did (without knowing about this dicussion) was to disable the internet connection as I already faced so many situations in the past which required a re-routing at locations where you don’t have internet connection - and I was surprized that the app could not re-route when I deviated (on purpose) form the planned route.

After having read this thread I know it now :slight_smile: but I still do not understand it: why is my aged TomTom (64MB RAM, 4GBMemory for maps, 400MHz CPU) capable to do offline routing and it seems to be difficult to implement this functionality in the Kurviger app, at least as an “emergence” functionality?

All the rest of the app totally convinced me to give it it a try using it for my tour through the alps. It’s easy to use and offers so many nice features! Of course I would appreciate offline routing functionality. My “fall back strategy” at the moment is my TomTom where I exported all routes and which will join me in the tank bag to bring me back on track if required :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Robert,

Actually 2 persons:

• Robin handles the website
  • I am the author of the application

Can see in documentation how the app uses the internet.

Regarding the comparison to TomTom or other similar devices:

• Seems more like compare gaming on PlayStation / Xbox versus a generic PC.
    Sat nav devices are special made with software intended for their hardware.
  • They have large companies behind, with multi-person teams for development.
    We don’t have unfortunately such luxury resources, nevertheless we do our best.

Offline routing, one way or another, is coming. :slight_smile:
(see above for a future preview)

2 Likes

Hi. Thanks for the quick response. Please don’t get me wrong: I am highly impressed what a great user experience two individuals are able to deliver. I guess that’s only possible with a high passion for motorcycling.
I only wanted to understand what the real challenge is with the offline routing: technical limitations or something else. It looks like it’s resources/budget so I will patiently wait for the functionality or let’s try to crowd fund an additional developer for this :slight_smile: - if people are willing to pay ~60bugs one time plus ~30bugs on a yearly basis to buy something which is less convenient than the Kurviger App… you never know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gestern seit langer Zeit wieder mal mit dem Moped unterwegs gewesen. Start und Ziel gewählt, die Navigation funktionierte super.
Respekt dafür.
Jedoch wollte ich am Zielpunkt beim Essen eine Route nach Hause planen, ging aber leider nicht, da es in der Gegend (wie zu oft in D kein Netz gab).
So musste ich erst mal losfahren, warten bis ich wieder Netz hatte, anhalten und wieder eine Route planen,
Würde mich auch sehr freuen, falls die Offlinenavigation mal kommt.
Ansonsten alles super. :+1:
Gruß Oliver

3 Likes

Offline routing is now available in Kurviger:

• Route planning: all routing calculations fallback to offline routing profile when there is no online connection.
  • Navigation: offline partial rerouting is calculated from user’s location to the route (based on rerouting mode).
    Offline reroute section joins the rest of the existing curvy route and navigation continues on the merged route.
    Every other “rerouting” nav activity should work similarly offline, like avoid road block or skip next waypoint.

Offline routing requires the presence of offline graphs (folders of routing data) for each region.
There are available offline graphs for each region in our new download server (like offline maps).
Unpack the downloaded zip in mobile device and load the graph via application’s routing menu.

Likewise the Mapsforge server also provides worldwide offline graphs.

You can also create offline routing graphs with desktop Cruiser:

• Download any osm/pbf file from Geofabrik for your region.
  • Select “Speed mode” or “Flexible mode” and check the “Car” in the menu “Routing | Graph options”.
    “Speed mode” offers faster offline routing on mobile, though graph creation is slower on desktop.
  • Create the graph via menu “Routing | Create graph”: select any downloaded osm/pbf file and then an empty folder for graph output.
    Depending on region size and available memory, can increase Java heap size (Xmx) in bat / sh files and run Cruiser with them.
  • Move the created graph folder in mobile device and load the graph via application’s routing menu.

Offline routing currently has the following properties:

• Offline routing calculations use the fastest profile (no curvy algorithms).
    If Robin can implement them to work offline on mobile, then I can add them.
  • No straightforward cross border offline routing yet (limitation of library).
    Depends also on input osm/pbf bounds (Geofabrik usually provides countries).
    Or use special region wide graphs: Alps, DACH (Germany+Austria+Switzerland).
  • I’ll also add BRouter offline routing, which doesn’t have these limitations.

Available in menu “Routing | Open data”.

3 Likes

See Kurviger 1.12 (Beta).

WOW - great news! I’m really looking forward to test this new feature. :+1:

1 Like

Habe es gerade auf 2x Geräten getestet mit dem Flugmodus, auf meinem Honor View 20 funktioniert es. Bei meinem Ulefone S8 kommt, wenn ich die Offlineroutendaten öffnen will, die Meldung "Ungültige Routendaten. Auf beiden Handys verwende ich die gleichen Dateien, was könnte das Problem sein? Eigentlich wollte ich gerne das Ulefone als Navigationsgerät einsetzen.

Just tested it on 2x devices with the flight mode, on my Honor View 20 it works. On my Ulefone S8, when I want to open the offline route data, the message "Invalid route data. On both phones I use the same files, what could be the problem? Actually I wanted to use the Ulefone as a navigation device.