App: Offline routing (GraphHopper)

Ich würde das Offline Routing auch sehr gut finden.
Da wir bei uns wo ich wohne so ein schlechtes Netz haben, kann ich von Zuhause außerhalb des W-Lan Empfang nicht mal eine Route berechnen lassen.
Auch wenn ich unterwegs bin ist mir das leider schon öffters vorgekommen. Z.B. auch in großen Teilen vom Schwarzwald gibt es kein Netz. Auch haben manche Unterkünfte kein W-Lan, so dass es unmöglich ist eine Route berechnen zu lassen. Leider haben wir in D einen schlechten Netzausbau und dazu kommen noch die ganzen Baustellen und Umleitungen. Auch im EU Ausland ist es mir schon oft vorgekommen.
Das soll allerdings nicht die super Arbeit und Leistung vom Kurviger Team schmälern. Ihr macht einen klasse Job :ok_hand::+1:
Dennoch wäre ein Offlinerouting für mich auch sehr wichtig. Das ist der einzige Grund warum ich noch Alternativapps nutze.

Gruß Oliver

2 Likes

not the same population. Offline is for travellers and more offroad or far countries . Offline is a necessity, as long as you travel out of weekend sor sunny european trips… And there’s still a market for it…Not big but we are a lot to be able to pay a good price for it ! ( not a licence, for same reasons). I’m using graphHooper to make around trip by Russia Georgia, Armenia, Turkey etc… Works well ( and the now 80 points lakes it easier), but lots of single trails can’t be defined, even if they are seen on the OSM … Still dreaming of a simple app where you just draw your routing on the map screen and it converts in GPX. So it’s up to you to go through a forest, cross a small river, then take a highway, etc… It will allow to be in/out of topo maps and general ones. Loading and working on small topo areas is not realistic… Because on the way, I will have changes, discover some places,etc…( same reason why online routing is not a “'real world” way) and how use topo areas for a 12000 km trip ? :wink:

Seems pretty logic that people prefer online in kurviger, if I understand it… Offline just doesn’t work; sorry. Detour, roadworks, turns mistakes, all things happen, and even faster on bikes… If you don’t go back or join the already online planned itienrary, you 're f…d That’s exactly how I test and value gps prgs : Make a mistake , turn around and see how the prg catches up ! Some great prgds can act like shit in this case !! Especially , because of fast turns and direction changes of bikes :slight_smile: And don’t forget that 3g /4g is not free, and can be a big pb in lots fo countries when you are not living there and just have access to expensive solutions. If you get a sim card you try not to use it for routing , to preserve the expensive data use … g/4g is still crazy costly in Hungary where I live now , and if i go in turkey, I won’t be allowed to buy / use a TK sim card for more than 12 days ! Not enough to explore country…

1 Like

Yes, I think we all agree that offline routing would be a nice addition to Kurviger :slight_smile:, and this is something we would all like to see in the future for Kurviger :+1:.

I stayed for quite a long time in countries with almost no internet coverage, where driving for 500 km without reception happens regularly, and traveled there with Kurviger. I can fully agree, that it would have been handy at times.

On the other hand offline routing has several serious issues and downsides, that need to be handled accordingly. It’s not a straight forward as one might think.

3 Likes

Free roaming man :smiley: don’t caaaaare anymore

Stick to the Alpes, man the Swiss have got it figured out so hard

The available solution is described above (can test it) via offline routing graphs.

With its advantages (offline) and disadvantages (fastest routing, country graphs).
That’s the only possible implementation that can be integrated as-is relatively fast.

1 Like

Did you ever drive through Rheinland-Pfalz? You can be lucky to find a drum to call up somebody… offline maps are very important, but offline routing is not that important… the app works very well already as it is…

1 Like

Ich persönlich vermisse das Offlinrouting sehr, da bei uns eine sehr schlechte Netzabdeckung ist.
Fall 1: Treffpunkt mit Kollegen an einer Tankstelle im Wohnort. Besprechung welche Runde wir drehen wollen, Route planen mit Kurviger, aber keine Routenberechnung wegen schlechter Netzabdeckung möglich.

Fall 2: Wärend der Tour eine Pause machen und für eine andere Strecke Richtung Heimat entschieden. Schnell mit Kurviger eine Route geplant (ist ja genial mit Kurviger), aber leider keine Routenbetechnung möglich wegen wie so oft schlechtem Netz.

U.s.w.

Leider haben wir bei uns und auch in anderen Gegenden eine sehr sehr schlechte Netzabdeckung.
Für mich ist Kurviger die beste Motorradapp die ich kenne, und ich ziehe den Hut vor den Entwicklern und ihre Arbeit. Aber das Offlinerouting ist für mich leider leider der einzige Grund, daß ich zu oft eine Alternativapp nutzen muss.

Nun meine Frage: Ist für die Zukunft ein Offlinerouting für die Kurviger App geplant?

Gruß Oliver

I have to confess that I share Oliver’s experiences and point of view.

Ich fände es schon sehr hilfreich wenn ein Routing so lange aktiv bleibt bis entweder ein Netz erreichbar ist oder man den Routing Versuch abbricht.
So könnte man zumindest in einem Empfangsloch das Routing starten und einfach losfahren und darauf warten dass er irgendwann von der aktuellen Position anfängt zu berechnen.
Aktuell versucht er es eine kurze Zeit und bricht dann wenn fehlender Netzverbindung ab was du führt das man immer wieder stehen bleiben muss um es erneut zu versuchen.
Gruß Roland

Siehe auch:

Routes can only be calculated using server-data, which means you have to be online (advantage: it’s using special algorithms for different routing-modes like “curvy” etc.). Therefore it’s always essential to save/export your route after creating it.

While on tour, you always can reload/import this route and continue navigation (because navigating an existing route can be done offline, but without being able to re-calculate a new route). If I’m forced to drive a detour without having connection, I’m using the map view for getting back on tour (navigation will be continued automatically aftre re-entering the route). Kurviger’s different and configurable options (e.g. zoom level, tilting-modes, follow-mode and the direction indicator) are really helpful in such situations (better than any of the many other navigation solution I tested yet).

But if you’re really “busted” because of being forced to calculate a route while being on tour it would always be wise to have a fallback solution on your phone (I’m using Sygic for those cases, which is capable of offline routing - without special motorcycle options like curvy routes, of course).

have fun and ride save
Mario

2 Likes

Exactly. That’s why I have installed HERE WeGo additionally.

In fact I have even FOUR navigation tools on my mobiles, all ready to use:

• Kuviger (no special need to justify here :wink: )
  • GMaps (for quickly reaching a destination, specially for highways, with mostly very up-to-date display of traffic obstructions - offline use as well if necessary and if offline maps have been stored before, but then without traffic news)
  • HERE WeGo (for complete offline navigation in an “emergency case”, as I have stored all necessary maps on my mobile)
  • Locus Map (for navigation off the roads, in my case (car!) by bicycle or when hiking)

Die Offline Routenberechnung ist für mich im Moment noch beinahe ein “Killerkriterium”. Vor 2 Jahren sind wir über den Balkan Richtung Rumänien. Einmal in Bosnien-Herzegowina kurz etwas auf einer Karte auf dem Handy suchen hat über 300 Fr. gekostet . Jetzt zeichne ich eine Tour zum Nordkap. Die Strecke zeichne ich auf der Website von kurviger.de weil das wirklich gut geht. Als Navi verwende ich Mapfactor Navigator. Eigentlich Schade.

Das muss nicht an Kurviger gelegen haben.
Ein Smartphone überträgt ständig Daten im Hintergrund. Whatsapp, E-Mail, etc.
Da hilft nur mobile Datenübertragung abschalten bzw. Roamig zu verbieten.

@Reto_Fritschi Du weißt aber schon, dass Kurviger Pro zuvor gespeicherte Routen offline navigieren kann. Dazu musst Du die Routen im *.kurviger Format speichern, und natürlich offline Karten verwenden.

Nur das “zeichnen”, der Route benötigt Internet, da die (aufwändige) Berechnung hierfür auf dem Server stattfindet.

BTW.
Zum Testen einfach das Smatphone in den “Flugmodus” schalten!

Manfred

2 Likes

agree 100 % people who ride out of Western Europe roaming can’t realize why an online solution just can’t be used :frowning:

Another one for offline routing.
I use a dedicated (old) smartphone just for navigation purposes. it is my motorcycle navigation utility. i will NEVER have an online connection (except WIFI) on that phone.
Therefor i used kurviger sometimes for planning, but for routing ‘on the road’ i can’t use it. So for me kurviger is just a good idea so far. It’s a pity as kurviger is a great app apart from that.

Hi Guido, just to make sure also for you a quick hint: you know that offline navigation is possible, right? Only creating the route currently requires internet.
https://docs.kurviger.de/start?id=app/faq/offline_map

Maybe you can plan your routes at home (even with one or two alternatives) and send all those files to your navigation smartphone?

2 Likes

Hi Patrick,
yes, i do know the difference between navigation and routing. planning at home is fine for a day or a weekend, but not if you’re away for longer and don’t know where the journey will take you.

If you have another mobile device with Internet connection, you can share internet by tethering via bluetooth
english HOWTO
german HOWTO

Manfred

1 Like