Odd routing

[EN] I think I have found an issue with the route calculated by Kurviger
[DE] Ich glaube ich habe einen Fehler bei der Routenberechnung von Kurviger gefunden

I have tried all the different routing options but Kurviger refuses to select what I would think would be the best route. I can’t understand why it picks the route it did. If I add a shaping point then I can correct it but I wouldn’t have expected it in the first place.

[EN] I read the corresponding documentation
[DE] Ich habe die entsprechende Documentation dazu gelesen

I read the indicated docs and from what I can tell, this isn’t an OpenStreetMap issue. I’ve fixed a few of those and generally can figure out why Kurviger won’t route someplace I think it should.

[EN] Here is a url to a short example (<10km) that shows the issue:
[DE] Hier ist ein Link zu einer kurzen Route (<10km) die das Problem zeigt:

[EN] Description of the issue and how it should work instead:
[DE] Beschreibung des Problems und wie es anstatt dessen funktionieren sollte:
As you can see in the map, I have a start and end point. My expectation is that the route would have been along Route 110 which runs along the river. But at one point it routes off that road and then eventually returns to it. And since I’ve ridden this route before, using Kurviger I’m pretty sure it never routed this way in the past. I can tell because I have all my GPS tracks and I don’t have any tracks along the section of road that Kurviger selected but I do have them all along route 110.

Hi, from what I can see in OpenStreetMap (the data source for Kurviger) there is no speed limit set on either or those two streets. My theory would therefore be that Kurviger sees that the side road is 100m shorter and decides it could be faster?

If you know your way around the area, could you add OSM with the appropriate speed limits and then a couple of days later we could test this again?

Regarding your question of why this hasn’t been the case in the past, I can only suspect that the algorithm was tuned a bit (maybe to be even more aggressive towards “shortest” path) in the meantime, the devs are always hard at work improving this, and examples like yours are very helpful in finding the edge cases

1 Like

Thanks for providing this example, I think there are still options to improve the fastest route :slight_smile: - I have this on my todo list already, should be improved over the next weeks hopefully :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ended up using a shaping points to fix the issue.

Unfortunately the location for this area is about an hour away from me and in a congested section so I tend to avoid it as much as possible.
I suppose a nice feature for Kurviger is to have a mode that can be used to capture information about the ride. For example, if I notice that Kurviger doesn’t have the correct speed limit or indicates that a road is closed while riding it I could press a button on the screen which would record my current location and speed and then when the trip is over, allow me to save the information and review it in the app or on the website. Then I can easily fix the issue without too much interrupt in my trip.

This is already available via the GPS recording feature.
See the manual and the documentation for more details.

Or just add a bookmark.

1 Like

What I mean is just and instantaneous recording of the trouble spot. Since most of my rides are 200+ miles, reviewing a GPS recording just takes to long and worse, remembering the location where the trouble spot was. I was thinking something that is quick and easy to do so I don’t have to stop to play with the GPS. Just a single dedicated button that I can press to record the information.