Managing / organizing route(-DB)

Hallo Tom,

ich importiere/exportiere mir meine Routen in Kurviger Web/App und lege Sie bei mir im Google Drive in verschiedene Ordner ab.Zum Beispiel Touren > Leipzig oder Touren>Bayerischer Wald, gefahrene Toruen>Erledigt. Hoffe das ich Deine Frage richtig verstanden habe.

Hello, Tom,

I import/export my routes in Kurviger Web/App and store them in my Google Drive in different folders, for example Tours > Leipzig or Tours>Bayerisacher Wald, gefahrene Toruen>Done. Hope that I have understood your question correctly.

1 Like

That’s my workflow too - except I use Dropbox. The Dropbox-App on my smartphone gives me access to all routes for navigation with the Kurviger-App.

Folder based route organisation is the reason why I made some suggestions here und here to improve the way for quickly browsing through different route files.

To be able to do that a quick “file open”-method (placed directly in the left tool bar area) and a more exposed position of the main route infos (like length etc.) would be helpful.

1 Like

Jup, for me too. Google drive, folder for every region and every vacation where I ride, then a Google doc with a big fat list of links

Since I am an “ancient” Garmin user, I have my entire “navigation history” in Basecamp and continue to use it.
The management of waypoints alone is only rudimentary from my point of view (until now) and is reason enough for me to stay at Basecamp.
Maybe in a later release there will be something like a user administration with DB at kurviger.

Da ich ein “uralter” Garmin-Anwender bin, habe ich meine gesamte “Navigations-Historie” in Basecamp und verwende das auch weiter.
Allein die Verwaltung von Waypoints ist aus meiner Sicht (bis jetzt) in kurviger nur rudimentär gelöst und ist für mich schon Grund genug bei Basecamp zu bleiben.
Vielleicht kommt ja in einem späteren Release noch so etwas wie eine User-Verwaltung mit DB bei kurviger.

Thanks a lot for the discussion. I understand the need for a DB to organize your routes. We plan to add something like this in the future though: App / Website: Profil mit Speicherung von Routen und Orten? - User Profile Feature?

1 Like

I agree with that: we need more functionality for waypoints for a better organization (e.g. possibility to have names for waypoints like already discussed here).

This is the reason why I also use BaseCamp (and the MyRoute-app web-platform) to organize my personal route library. But it would be great if someday could do similar things only by using Kurviger.

They are already registered and the plan is to work on them one feature at a time.
Usually I prefer to finish first core needed features and then see external features.

Absolutely understandable. I also wouldn’t consider this features as “core” ones but “next level”. :wink:

2 Likes

I use Google sheets/speadsheet. This way add more info or notes to routes. I save the short url in one of the cells. Have over 150 routes in it now.

Thanks for the discussion :slight_smile:.

How are you usually working with your folders? Is it typically just one level of folders like:

[Area] > [Tour Name]

Or do you usually do multiple levels like:

[Year] > [Area] > [Some other folder] > [Tour Name]

Do you think one level is enough or do you need multiple levels?

Bei mir ist es Google Drive > Touren > “Area” zB Leipzig > Tourdatei.
Für meine Übersichtlichkeit finde ich mehrere Ebenen besser.

For me it is Google Drive > Tours > “Area” e.g. Leipzig > Tourfile.
For my clarity I find several levels better.

Thanks for the feedback. But inside your [Tours] folder, you only need one more level for example [Leipzip]? Or do you think you need more?

Nein, mir reicht die Struktur so. Ich denke nicht das ich mehr brauche.

No, I’m fine with the structure this way. I don’t think I need more.

1 Like

For me it’s
day tours vs holiday planning - done vs. not done - area - tour

I know this is weird :smiley: but I use the search function of drive to open everything anyway so… Might as well all be flat in one folder.

I guess tagging would be helpful for me, tagging and searching

Thanks for all your ideas and opinions how to store and organize the routing files.
That leads me to a further question or request:
To share the files with other devices or user I would like to configer a cloud space as export location within app.
Is this already possible?

1 Like

See also the discussion here:

Meine Datenstruktur ist “Region”, “Jahr”, “Reise”.
Eine Online-Anbindung z.B. an eine cloud würde ich nicht bevorzugen. Gerade gestern wieder in Deutschland unterwegs und partiell kein Netz (im Taunus). Wenn die Daten dann in der cloud liegen, hat man keinen Zugriff. Navigation ohne Netz funktioniert mit gespeicherten kurviger-Dateien. Zugriff auf Wegpunkte etc. ohne Netz nicht.

My data structure is “region”, “year”, “trip”.
I would not prefer an online connection to a cloud, for example. Just yesterday I was on the road again in Germany and partially no network (in the Taunus region). If the data is then in the cloud, you have no access. Navigation without a network works with stored curvy files. Access to waypoints etc. without network does not work.

1 Like

Bei Google Drive ist es möglich die entsprechende Datei mit “Offline verfügbar machen” zu markieren. Damit sollte das Problem bei schlechtem Empfang gelöst sein. Wie es bei anderen Clouds ist weiß ich leider nicht.

With Google Drive it is possible to mark the corresponding file with “Make available offline”. This should solve the problem with poor reception. Unfortunately I do not know how it is with other clouds.

2 Likes

Literally every single connection service and every HALF decently programmed app does just that, keep files on drive and sync in the background.
Especially considering the TINY size of a kurviger file and the talent the Dev has shown so far it would be very surprising if this comes out as anything but perfect UX

2 Likes