Lift Gate on Carretera Coll d'Ordino - Andora

[EN] I think I have found an issue with the route calculated by Kurviger
[DE] Ich glaube ich habe einen Fehler bei der Routenberechnung von Kurviger gefunden

[EN] I read the corresponding [documentation]
[DE] Ich habe die entsprechende [Documentation]

[EN] Here is a url to a short example (<10km) that shows the issue:
[DE] Hier ist ein Link zu einer kurzen Route (<10km) die das Problem zeigt:
[https://kurviger.de/en?point=la%20Seu%20d’Urgell%2C%2025700%2C%20Catalonia%2C%20Spain&point=42.556629%2C1.54834&point=42.556364%2C1.548219&point=Porta%2C%2066760%2C%20Occitania%2C%20France&point=la%20Seu%20d’Urgell%2C%2025700%2C%20Catalonia%2C%20Spain&point=Sort%2C%2025560%2C%20Catalonia%2C%20Spain&point=Bielsa%2C%2022365%2C%20Aragon%2C%20Spain&locale=en&vehicle=motorcycle&weighting=fastest&additional_weighting=&ch.disable=true&use_miles=false&elevation=true&avoid_toll_roads=true&avoid_unpaved_roads=true&layer=Esri%20Streets

https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?changeset=73997762#map=18/42.55668/1.54890]

[EN] Description of the issue and how it should work instead:
[DE] Beschreibung des Problems und wie es anstatt dessen funktionieren sollte:
[The lift gate east of Ordino is defined in OSM as “Allowed access All=yes” which I think should allow Kurviger to route through it, but it does not. I altered OSM to include “motor_vehicles=yes” but this did not solve the problem.
I would assume that this gate is closed during the winter & OSM would then be changed to “All=no”]

Hi Engenia,
ok, there are multiple things to say here, let’s go to them step by step

1. As I myself had to learn the hard way: the slightly grayed out All: yes in the OSM GUI does not mean that it actually is set to true :frowning:
    The truth can only be seen at the bottom, under "All Properties

So what we can see there is the motor_vehicle:yes that you added, but access itself is still set to… “no value” so I assume that’s why Kurviger does not route here

2. Your change may very well have fixed this problem! :slight_smile: But all the servers and the caches in the background take a little bit of time to fetch this information. Kurviger usually shows the changes after 1-2 weeks, so check back in a week to see if it works. You may absolutely also set access:all if you like, if you know that that is true, e.g. if you have local knowledge

3. Users in OSM don’t have to change the access values when another season comes. This is what conditional restrictions are for - which is a very cool topic that Kurviger now makes great use of! Again, if you know that this gate is closed seasonally, you can very easily edit OSM to show this. If you don’t feel comfortable with this feature you can let us know here, I’m sure we can get it to work together

4. Did you know that you can very easily share short Kurviger links from the website? Check out this button:

2 Likes

Thanks Patrick. You are absolutely correct. I went back to OSM and the ‘yes’ was grey, so I clicked the drop down only to find ‘yes’ was absent. So I typed it in. Then foot bicycles and horses all became ‘yes’, albeit grey. Motor vehicles’ ‘yes’ was black, but I had already changed that.

I am hoping that a local will correct what I have changed if it is incorrect, but as far as I can see, using Google maps street view, the gate is a snow gate that closes in the winter. Time of year conditions are not set though.

Ok just don’t mention that too prominently anywhere :smiley: Google Streetview is absolutely not accepted as a source for OpenStreetMap edits, the community is very trigger-happy for deletions of such edits

You’ll need to use Mapillary, OpenStreetView, a webpage of the municipality administration or local knowledge from having driven there.

For now you can probably leave it be, just remember to edit again once you’ve been there :wink:

1 Like