Kurviger 1.12.3 (Beta)

Please see also the discussion here in offline routing feature topic.

Cannot know what happens with those large routing data on more weak devices,
though smaller graphs seem working fine.

Need to reproduce it somehow.
Can be memory or storage problems or something else…

Is there a possibility to load multiple (smaller) graph data folders (similar to maps)? So for my purposes I could load the graph data for Bayern, Baden Württemberg and Austria instead of DACH.

Unfortunately no, see details in my answer above.

I’m using ALPS map and graph data now and this works fine on my old MotoG3. There’s in fact a problem when using larger data amounts.

1 Like

I think, you could install some oft those (smaller) graph data folders and switch between them when needed.
If you consider offline routing only as a fallback when Internet is not available, you probably don’t need to switch too often.

Manfred

1 Like

Like I proposed here and if you have the time, it would be useful if you could build DACH area with desktop Cruiser and other options?

See my instructions at the announcement, just select “Flexible mode” and “Car” in “Graph options”.
It will take some time and because it’s a large region, if you have RAM can change Cruiser’s start script like mentioned.

So we can see if the graph creation mode plays a role in weaker phones.

@SchlesiM can you download a different dach.zip from here and try on that device again?

Yes, I can do that today in the evening and will report results as soon as possible.

I also can do this.

By the way: I tested the new version today during my drive to work. Worked as expected :+1:t3:. Offline routing is a huge improvement for serveral situations.

I only had the suspicion that the app automatically recalculated the route after missing a waypoint while being offline even if the navigation setting “rerouting” was deactivated. I’ll verify this when driving home again.

No need anymore for you to build a new graph.
I already did that in the linked location. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So I did and … it works! No problems on my old MotoG3 now. I even calculated a whole route from of about 200km length completely offline and it seems to work very well. Ok, it takes some time (I think additionally due to the fact that those new DACH data doesn’t use “speed mode”). But compared to the time some of the Garmin and TomTom devices take to calculate longer routes it’s still very (very!) acceptable! :+1:t4:

I noticed that now those “_fastest_car_edge_utc-1”-files are missing. They were meant to be used for a faster calculation, right?

I’ll give my MotoG3 an intensive “road test” tomorrow.

I tested the new version more concentrated on my way home. Tested a route with lots if “missed” waypoints, sometimes switched on/off data connection and also switched between automatic rerouting activated/deactivated. My suspicion was absolutely wrong: the behaviour always was exactly like expected. :+1:t4:

I’m really happy about this new offline mode. A great new and very helpful feature! Gone are the days I have to take a “fallback navigation” app with me (thus far I used Sygic for that purpose). :smile:

Seems like a small issue compared to the great offline feature but I really also like this adjustment. Because you’re right - it was somehow annoying :upside_down_face:.

2 Likes

Those new test graphs use the “flexible” (not “speed”) mode.
They need less memory, but have slower routing calculation.
So they seem more suitable for less capable mobile devices.

“Speed” mode graphs have different structure with extra preparation to offer faster routing.
Some technical details exist in this article:

By the way thanks very much for the detailed tests! :slightly_smiling_face:

Absolutely no problem. I’m really glad if can grant you at least a little bit of support for your great work. :smile:

In return I’m able to enjoy Kurviger for planning and navigating my rides. I’ll never ever revert to my old Garmin device :wink:.

Today I gave the new DACH graph data an intensive test on my way to work using my old MotoG3. And tadaaa: all went very well. No probs using this older device and absolutely acceptable performance if offline rerouting is necessary during the ride. :+1:t4:

After all I’m glad not being forced to purchase a newer (outdoor) smartphone for running Kurviger and serving as my motorcycle navigation device. This is an act of real hardware recycling and offfers the chance to give older devices a reasonable second life :wink:.

3 Likes

To avoid annoying startup messages for info that usually is needed on demand, a detailed info for the loaded data can appear (and be enriched in the future) via menu “Tools | Info”:

4 Likes

Dear Developers,
I just want to say thank you for that big step forward!
I can hardly wait to get back from skiing and start testing the new feature.
Cheers Frank

3 Likes

Kurviger server now provides updated graphs which should work better on “older” devices too.

3 Likes

Hi all,

fallback offline is a great function, no doubt about it. But it needs some improvement. In some areas with NO or VERY LOW internet bandwith, it still happens that Kurviger calculates and calculates for minutes and then stops calculating with no route finding. Without manual interaction I get no route caclulated. The problem doesn’t seem to be the loss of internet connection because when I manually cut the internet on the android device, then the fallback calculation works. It seems to be a too low bandwith or signal.

It seems to be a problem of identifying if the connection has lost or not or is good enough to calculate a route online. I guess an additional trigger is necessary to make the fallback work better. Maybe count the time to calculate a route and if ths takes longer than, don’t know, let’s say 20 till 30 seconds, then perform the fallback routing. Maybe you find also a better way to identify a too low internet connection bandwith in order to activate the fallback.

One question: does the fallback calculate the complete route to the destination or only the route from the actual gps position to the next unvisited waypoint? If last then fine, because then 15 seconds should be enough to switch to the fallback route calculation via graphs if no online route has been found. Maybe you even have a better method in mind to identify the need for the fallback routing.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

That really depends on what Android allows to developers.
It is a first step, we can see for improvements in the future.

Both offline and online rerouting calculations depend on the selected rerouting mode in settings.
If rerouting is to a middle route location, then rerouting is partial and is merged with rest of route.

Navigation has very complicated algorithms, I start with simple things and advance step by step.

I thought so, thanks a lot. :+1: keep on rocking…

1 Like

Just back from another tour. The problem is really that the trigger for fallback route calculation doesn’t work in practice. I had my action cam connected via WIFI direct (of course this then doesn’t have internet connection) and internet via sim card. It seems that the calculation prefers the wifi connection somehow or just identifies any WLAN or mobile connection as “online”, even if there is no internet or a bad signal. The fallback recalculation only works if I manually cut the WLAN and the mobile connection. If I don’t do this, Kurviger calculates and calculates when I leave the planned route without any success. At some time it stops calculating and does nothing. Even when I press the exclamation mark symbol in the middle for manual recalculation, nothing happens. It seems that this symbol has no function at all in this situation.