Kurviger 1.12.3 (Beta)

Can be. I also don’t think that this is a Kurviger issue. I think the properties or status for an internet connection is not correctly set from Android maybe. But the improvement can only come from Kurviger to handle this. Why not count the standard or maximum time for a route and if this is exceeded, then pass to GraphHopper automatically in Automatic mode? A preference setting sounds also ok.
While calculating could there also be an indicator which calculation option is used, by text or symbol and voice? This could help identifiy the origin of the problem.

Is there a free option like long-press something or direct access for switching the calculation mode while driving? I would really appreciate not needing to stop to make this working. Even if a preset sounds good, the automatic mode needs to be enhanced at least by forcing the graphhopper mode temporarily by easy access (direct button or action type).

1 Like

Unfortunately this also didn’t work, as told. I pressed several time on it, nothing happend. If I then switched to the follow-mode and directly back to the navigation mode (2 x middle button on the left side at the bottom), then the calculation was triggered. But not by pressing on the exclamation mark symbol. It was maybe in a subroutine in Kurviger where this didn’t work. Could you maybe check this again please?

I don’t really mean to complicate things too much for start, either in UI or navigation logic or settings.

Can allow phone to have internet or not via turn on/off Wi-Fi, mobile data, airplane mode, etc.
Or could force an offline router, if we decide to include such option.

Now there is a simple fallback to offline router when there is no internet (as Android reports) when doing (re)routing requests.
Waiting the online connection to answer will complicate things while be in motion, maybe in future can review the workflow…

Regarding the exclamation mark, cannot understand clearly what you mean.
If rerouting is disabled it works in all tests. But if there was an online connection and server could not answer with a rerouting, we cannot do much.
Use airplane mode or close online connections to make sure using offline router for now, until a setting can be provided.

If you consider a time out based detection as too complicated, then a setting to force offline routing could be a first step solution.

This is not ideal, as it brakes other apps like e.g. instant messaging.

Does it only work if rerouting is disabled by option? I had routing enabled by option. But the calculation stopped, maybe because of too many unsuccessful trials? The exclamation mark button did nothing, but the navigation button… this one…

worked as a manual rerouting trigger by pressing it 2x and after having internet connection cropped manually. But it is too distractive to do this while driving. More easy would be to use the exclamation mark button by press it once and then get the offline rerouting done.

The button could then work as an enforcement for calculation and could be the trigger to force graphhopper rerouting? Because if the automatic routing was working, I didn’t have a need to push on this exclamation mark button. So it can be assumed that something is not working when I press the exclamation mark while having rerouting active by option. By pushing the button while automatic rerouting option is enabled, this could then be the trigger for manual intervention in order to force offline rerouting temporarily. No need for complicated other things, just force the button as manual offline rerouting trigger. Make sense?

Fully agree, I think more of the little overlaying app with alternating green and red symbols… :slight_smile: which definitely need an online connection periodically.

1 Like

Indeed, if the exclamation mark stays on screen while automatic rerouting was on, you can asume that something got wrong behind the scenes.

I guess, that some sort of time out would be needed to detect such situations from a programming perspective.
Android does report if there is no internet, but does not reliably tell if internet connection is available

That’s the rerouting workflow all this time, like described also in documentation.
If automatic rerouting is enabled, then it’s initiated periodically when be off route.
If automatic rerouting is disabled, then can use the warning symbol for rerouting.
Everything is user’s choice.

More precisely “online” is always error prone, can never exist perfect online connections.
And as I already mentioned I don’t mean to complicate more the nav algorithms for now.
I can add a routing service preference, so that everyone can “force” the wished workflow.

By the way it’s difficult to understand why some of you report continuously issues using the app.
While the vast majority of users can use it fine, without reporting so many problems.

Are you sure your devices or sensors are working properly?
Or expect the app to do the unexpected while driving? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, I am absolutely sure they are working fine. I use 2 devices Samsung Galaxy S8+ and S9+… no problems with other functions.

Maybe the other users have mostly perfect internet connection all the time or are using main roads mainly or are testing it in theory instead of practice. I am an all conditions biker in all seasons. I don’t know something like “biker season”. And I like driving in curvy regions in the middle of nowhere, far outside of city traffic… This is REALITY and GOOD PRACTICE.

Fine, but why not then make an additional manual trigger in automatic mode for this button to force new temporary graph hopper offline calculation? This would solve all the problems and would be a perfect workaround through device or whatever issues.

No, but a manual and easy to use while driving intervention option to omit such real issues.

Everyone has different preferences, there is no best practice.
In such cases the new forced offline routing mode will help.

Can disable automatic rerouting if want to do it manually, no need to complicate more things.

didn’t say best, only good :slight_smile:

yes, but then I permanently have to push the button when I leave the planned route. I am not sure if this works better, because the trigger for offline grahp hopper routing will be the same with the same result.

1 Like

I would call the first one Automatic :grinning:
The meaning is of course:
“if internet is available use Kurviger (online) else use GraphHopper (offline)”

In the future the combinations could be more:

• Kurviger (online)
    GraphHopper (offline)
  • Kurviger (online)
    BRouter (offline)
  • Kurviger (online)
  • GraphHopper (offline)
  • BRouter (offline)
3 Likes

sounds like good options, but this is not changeable without beeing distracted from traffic while driving.

Is it an option to make an additional manual trigger in automatic mode for this exclamation mark button to force new graph hopper offline calculation? If it has no function at all in automatic mode, but appears on my app, why not have such an additional nice feature which I can use while driving.

maybe I missed something: what is Brouter? and does is it work with offline routing maps or do I need to download other maps for it?

I had foreseen this answer!

There is no need to change the service while driving.
Simply decide what mode want to use before go out.
Does anyone change the map provider while driving?

Automatic rerouting remains automatic.
If want manual rerouting, can disable it.
If want forced offline routing, can select it.

Can check it in the two announcements and its own topic:

What offline maps? Offline maps are for view maps.
Each offline router requires its own routing data set.

None app is perfect! :slightly_smiling_face:

Like mentioned too many times, we start with simple things.
If someone doesn’t like how a feature work, is free to skip it.
Or wait patiently for future improvements, cannot satisfy all!

1 Like