Kurviger 1.10.4 (Beta)

Short distances in avoid road block are usually more dependent on route geometry.
In example the 100 m are just after 1st turn, so routing may cannot use it for calculation.
Also important role plays the user direction, as cannot (re)route on a street backwards.

To demonstrate, I’ve stopped shortly before “Führholzerstraße”.
In the left (first) screenshot the next turn instruction is 160m away.
Kurviger could have used a route like e.g. in right (second) screenshot, but roadblock 100m doesn’t change route.

Edit:
roadblock 500m in the same situation takes basically this route

Manfred

I can see if 100 m case can be improved. Though since all that depend on route geometry, cannot expect wonders for such short distances.
Current values came from forum discussion here, not sure if they’re the best.
500 m and more are far more reliable options in routing for avoid road blocks.

Than, maybe it is not worth the effort and you can simply remove the 100m version or leave it as it is, with the risk that users are complaining.
What do other think?

Manfred

I thought that you’ve accidently removed the “Route missed” message.
Whether a repeating tone is less annoying than a one time voice message should be discussed in the App: Alarm away from route thread.

Manfred

The discussion for all new features in Beta should be done here, to have together in one place all opinions.

I announced its removal near two months ago, due to many complaints, without responses.

We cannot have mandatory the “Route missed” message as several don’t like it (or their GPS causes troubles). And filling the app with another on/off option is also not very intuitive.

A thought is that when the new (repeated) off route notification is off, then the “Route missed” is announced once.

Then you would have the old behavior of a mandatory acoustic notification.
If that is possible the other way:
More than 60s = “Route missed” is announced once.

Manfred

1 Like

That is a good idea too.

What the upper limit for the notification interval can be?
As too large could be essentially forgotten that it works.

Avoid roadblock tested successfully. Both 500m and 100m behaved as expected. Stopped just before a crossroads and then activated avoid roadblock, the detour functioned perfectly in both cases by choosing the correct other branch at the intersection. :+1:

1 Like

I won’t use that feature, besides a one time info that I am off route.
So leave it as it is (1s - 60s), unless someone who would use that feature has a better idea.

I don’t like the idea of a repeating signal unless it has the ability to tell something new.
New in this context could be some kind of info about:

• the distance to the route
  • the direction to the route

Manfred

1 Like

There are thoughts about that too: announce periodically the beeline distance and cardinal direction towards the route (like appear in panel now).

I started with the more straightforward way, the alarm tone and will see for the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

have tested the “next unvisited waypoint” option on a 410km round trip… works very well… thankfully I can use Kurviger again as default nav system :slight_smile:

… at least as long as internet connection is available… which is often goods in short supply in Hunsrück-Eifel area… what about a new option to automatically use a simple shortest-way re-calculation when there is no internet connection when beeing off route?

1 Like

Road network is not known when be off route without a routing engine underneath.

My next goal would be to handle that with the proper feature(s):

:+1: (many goals sounds good… had to use more than 10 chars :-))

Hi, the Voice guidance after instruction points feature definitely needs some more fine tuning.
It does not work nicely when turn instructions are following in a rapid sequence.
E.g. here near WP1 I got “turn right” “turn left” messages in rapid sequence.
Feels like it was playing the text of the already passed instruction mixed with the new instruction.

In other situations I got messages like “in 40m turn left”, followed by “turn left”
IMO the “in 40m” instruction shouldn’t be played.
I could provide more examples if that would help.

My settings were:

• after instruction point
  • 2km
  • 1km
  • 300m

Kalman-Filter was on.

One tuning measurement could be to wait a bit longer before playing the next instruction, to be sure that the intersection has been passed safely.

Manfred

1 Like

Could need fine tuning, as it has become quite complicated.
Thanks for the example!

Kurviger 1.10.1 (Beta) is on Google Play (instructions):

- Navigation: avoid roadblock action (Pro)

Some improvements and remove 100m to avoid corner cases.

- Navigation: route indicator improvements (Pro)

Use rerouting options for convenience and consistent settings.

- Navigation: (optionally) voice guidance after instruction points (Pro)

Algorithm fine tuning, please test and report with route examples.

- Navigation: off route notification option (Pro)

Speak “Route missed” message once when interval is set at 60".

- GPS logging (Pro)

Record track during navigation or follow modes automatically.

2 Likes

This is better, but there is still no possibility to get the “route missed” info only once, without getting a signal every 60s.

My idea above was something like this:
Off … 1s - 60s … “route missed” info only once

Anyway, no big deal.

Manfred

Funktioniert wunderbar, Danke.

Works fine, thanks.

1 Like

Kurviger 1.10.2 (Beta) is on Google Play (instructions):

- Navigation: voice language options (Pro)

Select navigation voice language separately from app language.

- Navigation: Czech, Italian, Polish, Swedish voice navigation (Pro)

New voice languages available for navigation and more to come.

- Various improvements

Separate options for off route warning + off route tone frequency.

1 Like