Hardware requirements

Hi all,
always a bit afraid, using my “main” mobile for Navigation, because if it gets broken, or worse, stolen, then you’re in deep sh.t.
Yes, one can use the 2nd last generation mobile…
I was looking for a dedicated Hardware, just for nav. I found some cheap Chineese/Russian Nav device, based on a Pioneer device, which basically does the trick. Kurviger can be installed and w/ a few tweaks it works. However the device has only 512 MB Ram and Android 4.4.2.
Could you elaborate a little, what HW prerequisites are required and if /how long you will continue supporting Android 4.4?
RGDS
hk

It wouldn’t be safe to purchase devices with “old” Android or with very low specifications.

We try to maintain backwards compatibility, but we cannot foresee the future. Min Android 5 will not be very far away.

Recommended devices are those with common chipsets (e.g. Qualcomm Snapdragon), at least their drivers work fine most of the time and with good GPS sensor.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend buying a device with an old Android version. At some point we will have to end the support for Android 4.x and Android 4 is already heavily outdated. I tend to buy midrange devices. You might get for example a used Moto G for a reasonable price. I think they are splash resistant. I am currently using Moto Z3 play, which is nice because there are additional battery packs you can simply add to the phone.

1 Like

Like already mentioned here I’m using an older Moto G (3rd Gen) running Android 6. Cheap, small, robust, waterproof and less power consumption than newer “high end” devices.

For mobile data the Moto G is connected to my main smartphone (Huawei P20 Pro) via Bluetooth Tethering. The Huawei stays save in my jacket’s pocket (I would never consider to use it on my bike).

2 Likes

Yep, I’m doing similar things, but for most of the mobile phones, I miss some easy, but robust mounting “snap & go” holder. Unfortunately, my BMW R1100RS is not very friendly for mounting fittings. For most of the mobiles, I have to fall back to some “general purpose” holder, which are a PITA. The device I bought, although hopelessly outdated, has this typical Garmin/TomTom etc. snap & go mounting, and if it gets stolen “who cares”…
RGDS
hk

I you take a look at this blog article, you can see my favored mounting solution. Very simple, unbreakable and good to eliminate vibrations.

Ja,
exactly this is not possible on a BMW R1100RS! You cannot fit ANYTHING on the guidant.

I mean,
wouldn’t this be a marketing idea for Kurviger, selling a “naked” Android device, IP61, w/ a 4 hole standard mounting in the back, so it will fit all sorts of mountings and a snap&go at the front ???
Plug’n drive

I have an R1100S. I think the handle bar looks more or less similar. I use the RAM X-Grip with this RAM base. I mounted the base with zip ties - not elegant, but very flexible and this works really well.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone had the smartphone overheat in the sunlight and either the screen go black or the phone shut off completely?
A mate mentioned this a few years ago, but I’m not sure how old his phone was. Perhaps they are more resilient these days.

Das Problem kenne ich nur, wenn man mit einer zusätzlichen Schutzhülle fährt und/oder das Handy in der prallen Sonne lädt. Allerdings hatte ich nie einen schwarzen Bildschirm.

I only know the problem if one drives with an additional protective cover and/or charges the mobile phone in the blazing sun. But I never had a black screen.

Ja, das Problem kenne ich genau so.
Passiert aber nur im Stand, wenn das Moped in der vollen Sonne steht.
Ich helfe mir, indem ich bei Pausen meinen Helm über das Handy stülpe.
Dann klappt es mit dem Laden.

We do have an FAQ about this: How to avoid an overheating smartphone while navigating? [Kurviger Knowledgebase]

TL;DR: if you don’t use a closed smartphone mount and don’t charge your phone heat should be absolutely no issue. This is also true for OZ temperatures, I tested this myself :wink: - with Quick Charge you can charge your phone very fast when taking a break, modern smartphones should last easily for 4 hours of navigation and should be mostly charged in less than 1 hour. So that is still a reasonable option if you see any heating issues. Usually it should be fine even when charging.

Thanks boldtrn. I did a search of the forum before making the comment but didn’t think to check the FAQ.

I think that this problem is hardware dependent, and in the case of Wolf, would be helped by fan assisted cooling. If a case were used for weather proofing, a fan to provide forced ventilation would be a good idea.
Personally, I haven’t tried navigation with a smartphone on the bike. My zumo 660 has worked well up to now, but it is getting old and is no longer supported by Garmin, so I am looking at alternatives.
If I find myself in a rainstorm I don’t want to have to worry about my navigation gear, so it must be waterproof. A rugged waterproof smartphone would appear to be the ideal solution. If that proves too expensive, then a force ventilated waterproof cover would be the way forward.
Either way, having to deal with a discharging device is another issue that need not be so if it can be left on charge while in use. Again, removing the heat generated with forced ventilation would be the solution.

1 Like

IP67/68 wären empfehlenswert für ein Handy. https://www.techbook.de/mobile/ip67-ip68-smartphones-bedeutung Vielleicht könnte man den Tipp zusätzlich in die FAQ aufnehmen?

IP67/68 would be recommended for a mobile phone. Maybe the tip could be added to the FAQ?

2 Likes

Das ist eine gute Idee! Magst du das übernehmen? Die Doku ist eine Wiki und kann von jedem angepasst werden. Falls du dazu Fragen hast, könnten wir das am besten in dieser Kategorie besprechen: Kurviger Documentation contributions - Kurviger Forum

Having a water proof device would be certainly the easiest and best option.

Depending on what kind of motorcycle you are riding, it can be enough to mount it behind the wind screen. While riding, my smartphone doesn’t get wet, only when I stop moving, so when it’s pouring, you just need to keep on riding :wink:

If it’s raining and you fear for your device there are two more options:

• Use audio navigation and store the smartphone in your jacket
  • You could put it into a waterproof plastic bag, if your mount allows this. One option could be the Loksak, but a cheap plastic bag should be fine as well

Erledigt. Hoffe das passt so.

2 Likes

Vielen Dank für die Anpassung :+1: