Kurviger.de | Application | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Legal Notice | Privacy Policy

GPX import fails due to special characters

#1

Hi,

I tried to import the Assietta track GPX downloaded from

https://alpenrouten.de/Assietta-Kammstrasse-AKS_track54.html

Import failed due to special character in track name - perhaps import could handle such problems.

After removing that character with text editor import was successful.

Furthermore the error message should be shown for a longer time (confirmation button?) - it is faded out after 1-2 sec, that’s quite fast!

Regards
Markus

Kurviger 1.3
#2

The problem actually is in the encoding of the GPX file, i.e. how it was created.

Since it contains special characters, should be in the universal UTF-8 encoding, instead it’s declared as the restricted ISO-8859-1…

That’s why also its “creator” DE text (line 4) appears wrong if open it with a regular editor.

#3

Interesting, if open the GPX on desktop, e.g. with Cruiser, it’s imported fine.

So also the Android plays a role as being more strict in GPX (XML) parsing.

Will need to see for a workaround for wrong file encodings, like in that case.

1 Like
#4

I found a workaround, it will be included in next Kurviger. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
#5

Hi,

thanks a lot, I just did a test with kurviger 1.3, it works fine!

Thanks!

Markus

2 Likes