Generate a gpx output compatible with Locus map

Generate a gpx output compatible with Locus map.

Hello dear GPS friends.

My name is Willy and I use nickname 0709 just like I do in the Locus map forum.
(My ex technician number in the company where I worked by the way).

What interests me most is your web router and the gpx output, but in a format that Locus can handle perfectly.

I noticed on a first introduction that the Kurviger Router uses remarkably the same expressions as there are Via points and Shaping points. It makes me suspect that Locus is no stranger to you. ?

The Shaping points are currently not exported (and therefore not imported) by Locus with gpx files, although this is perfectly possible. Here too the known problem, what must first be, the egg or the chicken?

I think that a gpx output method as described in the document in the link below on page 4 can handle everything perfectly yet easily, including the clear export of free positioned waypoints in the gpx file.

A slightly longer document, but I think it is sufficiently complete to get started, at least if of course there is interest.

Thank you in advance for checking this out.
You can reach me here on the forum or in the Locus forum, I don’t suspect unknown territory for you either.

Good luck !
Kind regards
“0709” Willy.

Thanks for the proposal, I am not sure if I understand it 100%.

Currently Kurviger’s GPX export does not export ShapingPoints yet. Different navis handle this differently, so for example we could include this for the GarminSpecific export. I had a look at the docuements you linked, but I am not exactly sure what you mean.

The documents mention a property called type. We could add a type tag, if there is a proven standard? Do you know if there is a standard, without focusing on one manufacturer?

They are common terms used by many routing services, e.g. Garmin.

:+1:

It’s not about to reinvent all things and create new arbitrary incompatible GPX types.

Kurviger exports all waypoints (start + via + shaping + end) in “wpt” and “rtept” types.
(names already have their official “name” tag, only shaping points remain to decide)

Instead of add an extension, can better use an existing element, like the “type” tag:
Element: type: Type (classification) of the waypoint.

Anyway that is to be discussed in their feature topics:
(but universally without focus on any manufacturer)

I think it’s already there - no need to reinvent it!
Take this kurviger route (Kurviger) and the attached corresponding file and let GpsShaping do it’s work.

The result is perfect for my opinion.
HighLine.kurviger (33.4 KB)
HighLine_.gpx (240.9 KB)
As you mentioned you see the details in Notepad++.

Yes, but that only works for Garmin. The export format for the GarminShapingPoint is quite clear, as Garmin defines these already.

For a more general gpx export, we should think about an option. As I said, one option could be the type. Another option could be sym. For sym there seem to be different flags, it could be:

• Flag, Green = Start
  • Flag, Blue = Waypoint
  • Flag, Yellow = Shaping
  • Flag, Red = Destination

This might help for some GPX viewers to better show the different waypoint types.

In any case, I am still looking for a good way to solve this for most navigators. I am not crazy about creating 100 different exports for every different GPX device :slight_smile:.

I had a look at the GPX file, thanks for providing that.

I am not sure if I understand this right. You used a lot of different definitions, sometimes you added a sym or a type, sometimes you didn’t. Usually, software doesn’t work like that :slight_smile:

We need to find a reliable solution with good rules that can be used across most devices / apps for best compatibility.

1 Like

Robin,
I plan with kurviger.de and ride with kurviger PRO. Need .gpx files only for the guys who ride behind me (and want to ride in front from time to time). But I only support those who use Garmin or TomTom. Everything else is simply ignored.
Maybe this would be a solution for you as well - if I look at the list in ComputerBILD (not my preferred source of knowledge!): 96 different software products, and kurviger is not even included. You just cannot service all of them.
But I’m not in the navigation business, I’m in the motorcycle driving business! :wink:

2 Likes

Yes. The .kurviger format allows us to store all settings of a Kurviger route. Other formats don’t allow that. That way we can load roads without internet connection for example.

No :wink:

Ok I see.

I skimmed over the document. Sorry but I cannot read 10-15 pages in detail about (your) Locus method. As explained, for GPX, we need a format that provides best compatibility with most apps and workflows. So it’s important to discuss about this and compare how different apps handle different GPX files.

1 Like

No need for any special compatibility, the GPX export process is simple and universal for all apps:

GPX contains the waypoint coordinates in “wpt” / “rte” and the track in “trk”.

All apps can import the GPX and use the waypoint coordinates to calculate route with instructions.

Thanks for the update. Please be so kind and keep these things here in the forum and not in some external files on Dropbox. Just a short description of what you think is missing or not working and if you have an idea to improve it, you can add how a solution could look like. That way others can find this trough the forum search and it’s easier for everyone to contribute.

Hi Robin.

One year after introduction here a small informative update.
Dropbox auto updated proposal document reduced to 2 pages :wink:

Instructions direct in the trackpoints how ? (Bold = Locus realised)

Simple and robust without disadvantage to existing programs that ignore the extra information.

• Find the generating router machine in track “SCR” (source) and the preferred routing profile in track “Type”.
  • Find the router turn instructions in track [EN]sym. See the doc with the (Locus) list for the correct [EN]sym text.
  • Find the Planner Points info in trackpoint [EN]type. Shaping or Via.
  • Find the segment router profiles in trackpoint [EN]scr. Routers should therefore provide a router profile list that they support.
    If the “receiving” router is different from the “sending” router or an [EN]scr text is not recognized ignore it.

Locus map achievements. Where are we?

- Locus app supports gpx [EN]sym track import. No [EN]type support (yet).
- RouteYou web supports gpx [EN]sym track export. No [EN]type support (yet).
Design new with care, so position the Planner points away from road crossings !
This ensures correct transfers of navigation instructions into a track for direct navigation use.

Kurviger supports gpx [EN]type Shaping or Via transfers but only in (rte)route or (wpt)waypoints !

How does the Locus app navigation work with this track file import ?

Locus scans the trackpoints for the presence of supported [EN]sym and promotes these to instruction points.
For now, only turn instructions by [EN] sym are supported.
Planner points by [EN]type are not (yet ?) supported.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1 Like