Feature Request - Visual Prompt as alternative to Voice Instructions

First, let me say I’ve grown to LOVE this app. Thank you!

When I ride alone on a planned route, I like using the voice instructions as a prompt for a turn that is ahead. The rest of the time I can focus on the road, without looking at the map. When I ride with others, and we are using helmet communication, I turn off voice navigation. When I am leading the group, I would still like to be able to receive a visual cue that a turn is coming up. Something that would quickly grab my attention, like a screen color change, or something of that nature.

I don’t know how hard it would be to implement, but I would love it if there was an option for a screen flash or visual queue in place of the voice instructions when voice guidance is turned off.

Thanks again for a great app!

Thanks for the kind words.

You can use the screen saver for visual prompt → screen turns on before turns.
Otherwise the next turn instruction is always visible, along with its distance.

See also the manual:

Thank you. I will look into the screen saver settings. I’ve been using this app for two years now, and feel like I know it well. But apparently there are still things for me to learn about it.

I still like the idea of keeping the screen on and seeing a visual prompt to get my attention, but I understand not every feature request is beneficial for all users.

If you’re not looking at the screen, how it will get your attention with any visual signal?
And if you look at the screen periodically, the turn instruction is always visible.

It is like the led notifications of the phones, you have to look at the device to see them.
Otherwise you are informed by the phone or notification sounds.

The screen saver was implemented in Kurviger 2.1:

I understand, and I’m not trying to be argumentative. Where my phone is placed, if the screen flashed, most times I would see it in my peripheral vision (even though I’m looking at the road). Maybe I’m wrong, but I think I would notice. I can continue with my current setup and will still be very happy.

I am looking into the screen saver settings, and I can’t seem to get it to work in simulation mode. I will test it on a ride later today. Thanks again for your time and effort. I appreciate your responses.

Hi. Maybe a good way to draw attention would be (optionally turned on) a short, loud beep, played on the phone’s ringer channel?

You can change the “Settings | Voice guidance | Voice guidance output” to another audio channel.

Yes, of course I am aware of that. But perhaps more important than this would be the possibility of an (optional) beep preceding the voice prompt.

Once, I had a case where the battery of the BT kit that delivered the sound to the helmet died. In such a situation, the messages played through the loudspeaker are barely audible and a beep would be useful.

An alternative audio channel would be recommended so that this beep cannot be heard through the headphones, but only through the loudspeaker :smiley:

1 Like