Do Total Commander links to route files work?

EN

I cannot open Kurviger route files (*.kurviger) directly from Total Commander - this generates the error message “Permission denied”.

(Unfortunately, this also means that putting links to the routes on the desktop of the mobile is of no use.)

Is this correct?

Background:

I am looking for a way to open daily updated routes very quickly without having to go through “Import” in the app.

My current workaround: I put the links (generated in the website) in WhatsApp; from there, a single click is also enough to open the routes in Kurviger.

DE

Ich kann Kurviger-Routen-Dateien (*.kurviger) nicht direkt aus Total Commander heraus öffnen - das erzeugt die Fehlermeldung “Permission denied”.

(Das bedeutet leider auch, dass es nichts nützt, Links zu den Routen auf dem Smartphone-Desktop abzulegen.)

Ist das korrekt?

Hintergrund:

Ich suche eine Möglichkeit, tagesaktuelle Routen sehr schnell zu öffnen, ohne über “Importieren” in der App gehen zu müssen.

Mein derzeitiger Workaround: Ich lege mir die Links (in der Website erzeugt) in WhatsApp ab; von dort reicht ebenfalls ein einziger Klick, um die Routen in Kurviger zu öffnen.

I cannot open Kurviger route files (.kurviger) directly from CX explorer - this too generates the error message “Permission denied”.*
So what you have reported here is a correct report msg.
To Compare: Locus allows such a direct import by the Cx explorer into the app. (Most apps do)

Please see

and the solution linked there.
Works well.

1 Like

What Android and device?

I cannot confirm the report (with kurviger files).

Total Commander or Google Files on newer Android: “Open with” shows Kurviger and works correctly.
(after granting “All files access” permission to Total Commander)

You can try Google Files or another file manager on older Androids.
Total Commander seems to work better on newer Android versions.

Total Commander file links do not work, as they are just links, not the real files.
Android storage access framework seems to grant app permission for real files.

You could try using Total Commander folder links to access the routes folder.

Kurviger files work, this is the proper way to open route files with file managers.

Hallo Uli,

ich habe alle Touren in einem Ordner auf dem Smartphone gespeichert und den Ordner auf’s Desktop gelegt. Den Ordner einmal antippen und ich kann die darin gespeicherten Routen direkt öffnen.

Geht auf einem Huawei Mate 20 Lite mit Android 10 und auf einem Ulefone Armor X8 mit Android 11. Ich tippe die Datei an, wähle dann öffnen mit kurviger und bekomme direkt das Import Widget in kurviger angezeigt. Oder meintest Du einen noch kürzeren Weg?

2 Likes

This is a quick access to the DIRECTORY, no problem, thanks.
But I am looking for a quick access to individual Kurviger FILES.

Das ist ein Schnellzugriff auf das VERZEICHNIS, kein Problem, danke.
Ich suche aber nach einem Schnellzugriff auf einzelne Kurviger-DATEIEN.

Yes! :smiley: :smiley:

Of course, this is the regular way, which I also go.
But for that I have to click through in Kurviger.

That’s why I’m once again looking for an even faster way.

Natürlich ist das der reguläre Weg, den ich auch gehe.
Aber dafür muss ich mich in Kurviger durchklicken.

Deswegen suche ich nach noch einem schnelleren Weg.

I’m used to access files via links from Windows and was hoping Android would allow it in an analogous way.

Ich bin den Zugriff via Links von Windows gewöhnt und hoffte, Android würde das auf analoge Weise erlauben.

Geht problemlos aus der Google Drive App heraus

Goes smoothly from the Google Drive app

1 Like

I don’t understand:
Google Drive is Google’s cloud storage (which I don’t use anyway).
How are *.kurviger files supposed to get into it?

Hello Uli,
you have several options:
First via Googöe Drive App.

See here:
(20) Kurviger Erklärt - Routenübertragung von der Webseite an die Kurviger App - YouTube
(20) Kurviger Explained - Transferring Routes from the Website to the Kurviger App - YouTube

Alternate without Google Drive Cloud:

Phone: Samsung A71 - Android 12

Cheers

1 Like

EN

Thank you, @devemux86, @Hampic and everyone else.

Misunderstanding: of course I know how to get a file to the Google Cloud (Google Drive).

I was just hoping you guys know a shorter way than I do.

And I know the other threads on the subject as well - thanks for the links anyway!

I tested again (Android 6.0.1):

1. when I short click on a *.Kurviger file in Total Commander (TC), Kurviger opens, but the route does not load (“permission denied”) >> NO SOLUTION.
  2. if I click the *.Kurviger file in TC long, the context menu of TC opens and I can select “Send to”, but Kurviger is not offered as target application >> NO SOLUTION.
  3. if I click long on the *.Kurviger file in TC as in 2. the context menu of TC opens and I can select “Create link on desktop” and Kurviger as target application, the link is also created on the Android desktop, clicking on the link correctly opens Kurviger, but the route is not loaded (“Permission denied”) as in 1. >> NO SOLUTION.

My SOLUTION via WhatsApp:

1. if I long-click the *.Kurviger file in TC as in 2. the context menu of TC opens and I can select “Send to”; if I then select WhatsApp and my own WA “group” “Notes” (or another co-rider or group), the *Kurviger file is stored there (which I can then add comments to via WhatsApp messages and of course also forward to other WhatsApp users); a click on the link in WhatsApp immediately opens Kurviger and the route.

Since I almost always have WhatsApp open anyway, this is nearly as fast for ME as using a link on the Android desktop.

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION via Google Drive:

1. instead of WhatsApp also goes the way you mentioned via TC and Google Drive (method as above), and from Google Drive I can then in a 2nd step put a link on the Android desktop, which also opens Kurviger + Route directly, as correctly described by @Hampic.

ADVANTAGE: Link on the desktop.
DISADVANTAGE: Commenting and direct forwarding not possible.

DE

Vielen Dank, @devemux86, @Hampic und alle anderen.

Missverständnis: Ich weiß natürlich, wie ich eine Datei in die Google Cloud (Google Drive) bekomme.

Ich hatte nur die Hoffnung, ihr kennt einen kürzeren Weg als ich.

Und ich kenne auch die anderen Threads zum Thema - danke trotzdem für die Links!

Ich habe erneut getestet (Android 6.0.1):

1. Wenn ich eine *.Kurviger-Datei in Total Commander (TC) kurz anklicke, öffnet sich Kurviger, aber die Route wird nicht geladen (“Permission denied”) >> KEINE LÖSUNG.
  2. Wenn ich die *.Kurviger-Datei in TC lang anklicke, öffnet sich das Kontextmenü von TC und ich kann “Senden an” auswählen, Kurviger wird aber nicht als Zielanwendung angeboten >> KEINE LÖSUNG.
  3. Wenn ich wie bei 2. die *.Kurviger-Datei in TC lang anklicke, öffnet sich das Kontextmenü von TC und ich kann “Link auf dem Desktop anlegen” und Kurviger als Zielanwendung auswählen, der Link wird auch auf dem Android-Desktop angelegt, ein Klick auf den Link öffnet korrekt Kurviger, aber die Route wird wie bei 1. nicht geladen (“Permission denied”) >> KEINE LÖSUNG.

Meine LÖSUNG via WhatsApp:

1. Wenn ich die *.Kurviger-Datei wie in 2. in TC lang anklicke, öffnet sich das Kontextmenü von TC und ich kann “Senden an” auswählen; wenn ich dann WhatsApp und meine eigene WA-“Gruppe” “Notizen” (oder einen anderen Mitfahrer oder eine andere Gruppe) auswähle, wird dort die *Kurviger-Datei hinterlegt (den ich dann per WhatsApp-Nachrichten mit Kommentaren ergänzen und natürlich auch an andere WhatsApp-Nutzer weiterleiten kann); ein Klick auf den Link in WhatsApp sofort öffnet Kurviger und die Route.

Da ich WhatsApp sowieso fast immer geöffnet habe, ist das für MICH fast genauso schnell wie über einen Link auf dem Android-Desktop.

ALTERNATIVE LÖSUNG via Google Drive:

1. Statt WhatsApp geht auch der von euch genannte Weg über TC und Google Drive (Methode wie oben), und aus Google Drive kann ich dann in einem 2. Schritt einen Link auf den Android-Desktop setzen, der ebenfalls Kurviger + Route direkt öffnet, wie von @Hampic korrekt beschrieben.

VORTEIL: Link auf dem Desktop.
NACHTEIL: Kommentierung und direkte Weiterleitung nicht möglich.

1 Like

@Uli_LH thanks for the detailed report.

1, 2 (Android 6.0.1)
All these actions with Total Commander work properly on newer Android versions.
Total Commander seems to communicate better with other apps on newer Android.

And if other file managers work correctly on older Android (e.g. Google Files),
then it seems to be an issue with Total Commander on older Android versions.

3: Total Commander links on kurviger files are not real kurviger files,
so Android storage access framework cannot grant read permission.

4: WhatsApp (as mails) may attach the route files, so works properly.

5: Again we see that with a Google app (Google Drive) the file links seem to work.
So probably something happens with how Total Commander handles the file links.

I tried Total Commander file links on Android 13 and it does not work either.

There are 2 different things:

• Files: they work with Total Commander on newer Android
    (other file apps seem to work on older Android)
  • File links: they do not work with Total Commander
    (other file apps seem to work)
1 Like

Ich glaube du hast da was mit Link und Datei nicht ganz richtig beschrieben.
Denn wenn du in Whatsapp einen Link zu einer Datei auf deinem Gerät schickst, dann kann da niemand anderes als du selbst drauf zugreifen.
Somit hast du die Datei in Whatsapp verschickt. Diese liegt dann natürlich auch auf deinem Handy im Whatsappordner.

Du soltest klären, warum du eine “Datei” nicht direkt öffnen kannst.
Bei mir, und anscheinend auch bei anderen, geht das.
Kann es sein, dass bei dir Kurviger irgendwelche Zugriffsrechte nicht hat?

You are right: I have phrased myself inaccurately:
TC actually does not send the link to WA, but the *.Kurviger file itself.
And this file is then also available for other WA users when I forward this file to them via WA.
I’ll correct that in my post above.
Thanks!

Du hast Recht: Da habe ich mich ungenau ausgedrückt:
TC sendet tatsächlich nicht den Link an WA, sondern die *.Kurviger-Datei selbst.
Und diese ist dann auch für andere WA-User verfügbar, wenn ich ihnen diese Datei per WA weiterleite.
Ich korrigiere das oben in meinem Post.
Danke!

Another idea:
How can I copy a *.Kurviger file to the Android desktop?
Is this even possible on an unrooted Android system?
(Am experienced Windows user, but never took the time to “learn” Android or even Linux… :wink: )

This probably depends on the file / storage app (and Android version).
e.g. Google Drive provides it and it seems to work.

Instead, why not create a folder link with Total Commander for the routes folder?

… because this link points then back to the folder in TC only - and we are as far as we started! :smiley: