Could the Kurviger App drive BikeHUD?

About 5 years ago, Bike Systems in The UK created a head up display that could be retrofitted to almost any helmet. It is no longer available but they are on the verge of an update that is much smaller. I had a HUD in 2005, made by SportVue, and while it was running, I found it allowed me to spend much less time checking my speed and much more time looking out for what was about to kill me.

I have been in contact with Dave@bike-hud.com with questions about how it integrates with a smart phone and it appears to use it as the main engine. The HUD is just the display. The navigation app it will be supplied with is something developed in-house and currently rudimentary. It occurred to me that the Kurviger app, being much more developed, would be a better alternative, if it could interface (bluetooth) with the HUD.

I haven’t yet suggested this to Dave, thinking it would be wiser to put the question to the Kurviger developers first.

A quote from a recent email from Dave -
> initially the GPS navigation will work just like your cell phone…… – i.e. the system knows where you are and will provide you up to 3 routes to your destination.
*> *
> The map will stay on the phone’s display – so if you want an over-view of where you are on the route you can mount your phone on the handlebars so when you pull-over you can easily see it.
*> *
> The following information is relayed into your helmet onto the BIKEHUD display:-
*> *
> Turn-by-turn navigation instructions comprising:-
*> *
> If the distance to the next turn is greater than 1 mile/ Kilometre then the system displays:-
*> Rear camera is displayed
*> Speed is displayed
*> The countdown in units to 1 place of decimals.
*> Eta to destination
*> Principle town you are heading to (So you can cross-check where the system is taking you against road signs you are actually seeing)
*> *
> When countdown is less than 1 mile/ kilometre then the display changes to include:-
*> Rear camera is displayed
*> Speed is displayed
*> Countdown units change to yards/ metres
*> A simple pictogram of the upcoming road junction to show its shape and colour-coded route through
*> Name of the road name/ number to turn onto (So you can cross-check against road signs, correct lane etc)
*> Principle place-name you are heading for (So you can cross-check against road signs, correct lane etc)
*> *
> When the countdown is less than 100 yds/ m
*> Rear Camera is displayed
*> Speed is turned off
*> Countdown changes to a simple bar graph.
*> Name of the road name/ number to turn onto (So you can cross-check against road signs, correct lane etc)
*> Principle place-name you are heading for (So you can cross-check against road signs, correct lane etc)
*> *
> We are also working on adding sound too. So if you have a sound system then the instructions will be transmitted to it

The rear camera is of little to no interest to me, but the speed and pictogram/navigation information definitely is.

Is this something that Kurviger could do, or would be interested in doing?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion.

Seems like a nice to have feature and could be an interesting idea for the future.

We haven’t thought much such integrations with third-party systems yet, considering there are too many core features waiting implementation and we need to manage our resources carefully. :slightly_smiling_face: