Compass and label of geographic direction

I tried to consider all your suggestions and corrections - pls have a look to the last version of the “contribution to documentation” in this topic above (you may find see all changes in “see edits” mode).

I hope, I did not forget anything? Then we could add it like it is to the documentation and translate it to German.

1 Like

Essentially the 2 taps enable + disable the map rotation.

Will see if keep that workflow, as map rotation on/off inside navigation can be handled in new navigation menu and keep compass 1 tap for revert map (like below).

In this case requires 1 tap to revert map back to north upwards.

Looks good to me (with above correction)! :+1:

I still struggle with that - or do we misunderstand each other?

Have a look:

1. Navigation mode:

1. After rotating map with two fingers :

1. After tapping compass symbol (= 1. tap):

1. After tapping compass symbol again (= 2. tap):

That means, even after rotating the map with two fingers in “Map rotation off” the SECOND tap rotates map back to NORTH.

That means, if a user is in “Map rotation off” mode and has rotated the map with two fingers (intentionally or unintentionally!) out of north orientation, with TWO quick taps the map is back to north orientation - and that is what I want to say!

I often use “Map rotation off” = North mode while moving, but then sometimes I want to have a quick look in another direction, but want to get north easily: It’s just done by a DOUBLE tap on the compass.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Indeed that’s current behavior, since compass tap inside navigation switches map rotation on/off and not revert map (as outside navigation) - leading to same result.

But as mentioned above it’s not intuitive to have different behavior per modes, so while working now in navigation menu, can improve similar workflow in all modes.

Ok - so how should we phrase it?
Or, to come to a result, may I keep my original formulation?

For now, as things may change soon! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Also topic’s title could change to something more convenient, like the discussed documentation’s title?

1 Like

Both done.

FINAL EDITED VERSION:

2018-10-12b

Compass and label of geographic direction

In the top-left corner of the map you can find a compass symbol . You can add your current bearing next to the compass by enabling the option (Settings - Map - Bearing). When you enable this option you will see an additional label below the compass with the usual abbreviations for geographic directions (e.g. NE ).

The arrow of the compass symbol shows the direction to the geographic north of the map.
The label below (letters of compass directions) shows the compass bearing, i.e. direction of current movement.

Using is different in different modes of Kurviger:

In general:

• Inside navigation (“Navigation mode”): By tapping the compass you can switch map rotation & tilt on / off,
  • Outside navigation (“Browse map mode” and “Follow location mode”): By tapping the compass you trigger a map orientation dialog. - With Manual selection, if map is rotated / tilted with gestures, then 1 tap reverts map back.

In detail:

A “Navigation mode”:

Tapping the compass toggles directly between turning on and turning off map rotation (hint appears in a bubble):
1) Map rotation: Off:
Top of map remains directed to north
(you can rotate the map with two fingers, but also in this case with 2 taps the map rotates back to top = north),
2) Map rotation: On:
Orientation of map follows current direction of movement (i.e. the location arrow remains upwards),

You should choose
(1), if you prefer to stay orientated about geographic north always while moving - then the label informs you about the geographic direction of your current movement (and the location arrow rotates too accordingly),
(2), if you prefer to see always the course of the route in front of you towards the top of the map - then the compass informs you about the direction of geographic north of course rotates).

B “Browse map” mode and “Follow location” mode:

A tap on the compass symbol let you choose:
1) Manual:
Top of map remains directed to north
(you can rotate map with two fingers but also in this case with another tap the map rotates back to top = north),
2) GPS (2D or 3D*):
orientation of map follows current direction of movement (i.e. the location arrow remains upwards),
3) Compass (2D or 3D):
the map rotates and tilts based on device compass readings, instead of GPS sensor.

You should choose
(1), if you prefer to stay orientated about geographic north always while moving - then the label informs you about the geographic direction of your current movement (and the location arrow rotates too accordingly),
(2), if you prefer to see always the course of the route in front of you towards the top of the map - then the compass informs you about the direction of geographic north of course rotates),
(3), if you want to get information about directions without moving, because the device’s compass does not need movement; but this may have the disadvantage of erroneous readings due to device sensor quality without calibration and being affected by near electronic equipment.

*) Will be implemented soon.

Will wait for another short tome to look for further comments, then publish.

1 Like

Hier die DEUTSCHE ÜBERSETZUNG der ENDGÜLTIGEN VERSION (2018-10-12b):

Kompass und Bezeichnung der geografischen Richtung

In der linken oberen Ecke der Karte findest du ein Kompass-Symbol. Du kannst deine aktuelle Richtung unter dem Kompass hinzufügen, indem du die Option (Settings - Map - Bearing) aktivierst. Wenn du diese Option aktivierst, siehst du unterhalb des Kompasses ein zusätzliches Label mit den üblichen Abkürzungen für geografische Richtungen (z.B. NE).

Der Pfeil des Kompass-Symbols zeigt die Richtung zum geografischen Norden der Karte an.
Das darunter stehende Label (Buchstaben der Kompassrichtungen) zeigt die Kompasspeilung, d.h. die Richtung der aktuellen Bewegung.

Die Verwendung ist in verschiedenen Modi von Kurviger unterschiedlich:

Im Allgemeinen:
Innerhalb Navigation (“Navigationsmodus”): Durch Antippen des Kompasses kannst du die Kartenrotation ein-/ausschalten,
Außerhalb der Navigation" (“Karte-Durchsuchen-Modus” und “Standort-Verfolgen-Modus”): Durch Antippen des Kompasses rufst du einen Kartenausrichtungsdialog auf. - Mit der Auswahl Manuell, falls die Karte zuvor mit Finger-Gesten gedreht / gekippt wurde, wird die Karte zurück gedreht.

Im Detail:

A “Navigationsmodus”:

Das Antippen des Kompasses schaltet direkt zwischen dem Ein- und Ausschalten der Kartenrotation um (Hinweis erscheint in einer Blase):
1) Kartenrotation: Aus:
Die Oberseite der Karte bleibt nach Norden ausgerichtet.
(Du kannst die Karte mit zwei Fingern drehen, aber auch in diesem Fall dreht sich die Karte mit zwei mal Tippen zurück nach oben = Norden),
2) Kartenrotation: Ein:
Die Ausrichtung der Karte folgt der aktuellen Bewegungsrichtung (d.h. der Standortpfeil bleibt nach oben gerichtet),

Du solltest wählen
(1), wenn du dich während der Fahrt lieber immer am geografischen Norden orientieren möchtest - dann informiert dich das Label über die geografische Richtung deiner aktuellen Bewegung (und der Standortpfeil dreht sich auch entsprechend),
(2), wenn du es vorziehst, immer den Verlauf der vor dir liegenden Route oben auf der Karte zu sehen - dann informiert dich der Kompass über die Richtung des geografischen Nordens (und rotiert natürlich mit).

B Modus “Karte durchsuchen” und Modus “Standort verfolgen”:

Ein Fingertipp auf das Kompass-Symbol lässt dich wählen:
1) Manuell:
Die Oberseite der Karte bleibt nach Norden ausgerichtet.
(Du kannst die Karte mit zwei Fingern drehen, aber auch in diesem Fall dreht sich die Karte mit einem weiteren Antippen wieder nach oben = Norden),
2) GPS (2D oder 3D*):
Die Ausrichtung der Karte folgt der aktuellen Bewegungsrichtung (d.h. der Standortpfeil bleibt nach oben gerichtet),
3) Kompass (2D oder 3D):
Die Karte dreht und neigt sich basierend auf dem Kompass-Sensor des Geräts anstelle des GPS-Sensors.

Du solltest wählen
(1), wenn du dich während der Fahrt lieber immer am geografischen Norden orientieren möchtest - dann informiert dich das Label über die geografische Richtung deiner aktuellen Bewegung (und der Standortpfeil dreht sich auch entsprechend mit),
(2), wenn du es vorziehst, immer den Verlauf der vor dir liegenden Route oben auf der Karte zu sehen - dann informiert dich der Kompass über die Richtung des geografischen Nordens und rotiert natürlich mit),
(3), wenn du Informationen über Richtungen ohne Bewegung erhalten möchtest, weil der Kompass des Geräts keine Bewegung benötigt; dies kann jedoch den Nachteil fehlerhafter Messwerte haben, da die Qualität des Gerätesensors ohne Kalibrierung und durch elektronische Geräte in der Nähe beeinträchtigt wird.

*) Wird in Kürze umgesetzt.

Ok soweit?

This contribution is now uploaded to and published in Kurviger Documentation.

2 Likes

I think this is our longest thread on the new forum so far :smiley: And all for such a “small” topic

1 Like