Avoid unpaved 5/5 and unpaved on map, but Kurviger still takes the unpaved road

[EN] I think I have found an issue with the route calculated by Kurviger
[DE] Ich glaube ich habe einen Fehler bei der Routenberechnung von Kurviger gefunden

I made a route in Colombia with the option ‘avoid unpaved roads’5/5, but Kurviger takes an unpaved road although it is unpaved on the Kurviger map (a white colour road’ and when I click on the mountain icon right below and don’t see a brown (unpaved) part in the route.

I read the documentation (see below), but I’m confused, because it is unpaved on the map. Is there something I can do about this or do I just have to check the whole route to be sure there are no unpaved roads?

I don’t understand the second alinea of the documentation (see below): "This could be fixed by adding the surface attribute to the road. Often you would set surface=unpaved or surface=gravel. For a detailed list of surface values, have a look at the [OSM ".

That is probably something you can do in OSM?

Thanks a lot for a reaction!

Greetings, Loes

In documentation:
"We read surface information from OSM, with some exceptions, we assume that roads are paved, unless otherwise marked. This means, if you avoided unpaved roads, but yet have been routed over an unpaved road, this road is probably not marked as unpaved.

This could be fixed by adding the surface attribute to the road. Often you would set surface=unpaved or surface=gravel. For a detailed list of surface values, have a look at the OSM Wiki."

[EN] I read the corresponding documentation
[DE] Ich habe die entsprechende Documentation dazu gelesen

[EN] Here is a url to a short example (<10km) that shows the issue:
[DE] Hier ist ein Link zu einer kurzen Route (<10km) die das Problem zeigt:
[INSERT URL/LINK EINFÜGEN]

[EN] Description of the issue and how it should work instead:
[DE] Beschreibung des Problems und wie es anstatt dessen funktionieren sollte:
[INSERT DESCRIPTION/BESCHREIBUNG EINFÜGEN]

Please provide the route link so that everyone can reproduce the report.

1 Like

This is the route link:
https://kurv.gr/3cUta

This is a gpx file link.

Please see the image above to select the correct export route link option.

Now the right link (I hope):

I have taken a look at your route.
On OpenStreetMap I couldn’t find any entry for the surface of that road.
See this part, it is just tagged as “unclassified”
No tag for the surface, so Kurviger does not know about it.
If you know for sure (e.g. you have been there) which part is unpaved, you could add that tag to OSM.

A white painted road on the map does not mean it is unpaved.
If many small roads in your area are unpaved (without beeing tagged in OSM) you might try “avoid narrow roads” in Kurviger.

Here is a route example which does (according to map data) contain a small piece of unpaved road.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

I tried to fit a list with the sort of roads and there meaning in Kurviger, but I couldn’t find it. Checked it with other maps and my conclusion was that white roads are unpaved, which is not true. Very glad to know!

#Loes
Ich schaue mir die Strassenverhältnisse bei Maps an.
Gruss Rolf

2 Likes

Thanks! I know the feature and will use it more now!