Auto-switch between offline maps or to online, if no offline map available

Hi,
may be it was discussed already, but I would like to (re-)issue the following request:
Coming from a large trip across Europe (5300 Km), I had frequently (especially in the Alps) to cross frontiers. (Italy, France, Austria, Germany, Switzerland) Unfortunately I had every time to switch between offline maps manually.
An automatic switch between available offline maps or online, would be of great help in such cases.
RGDS
hk

Note: can open simultaneously multiple offline maps (see documentation).

Also there is available an alps.map for more convenience.

Hi Ive, sounds like a really cool idea in general, switching the maps for instance when the reception has problems.

But I kind of wonder why you mention the country borders explicitly :confused: do you have a phone contract without data roaming? Going across the border you should be able to continuously use online maps

Hi,
I was driving 5300Km, a lot for and back over country boundaries in 3 weeks. Although my download budget would possibly allow for loading tiles online, keep in mind, I also would need it for other PC underway purposes, but the main reason is, that there are still spots w/ no reception and for this, I wanted to have the offline maps “on board”. I also had the impression that especially in Italy, data roaming is not a “high priority issue” of their operators, apart from still very many GSM (2.5) Edge base stations w/ 9600 B/s in rural areas.
RGDS
hk

1 Like

Ive, I did an alps-tour few weeks ago and defined several offline maps for it. No problems at all - you have not even to think about border-crossing.

2 Likes