App: Waypoint types

Currently we have 3 rerouting strategies available

• nearest waypoint
  • next waypoint
  • strict navigation

I would like to combine those in the following way.

• For shaping points

• use nearest waypoint (so they can be skipped if they are behind you)
  • For via points let the user chose:

• use next waypoint
    • or use strict navigation

And of course shaping points should not appear in the navigation pannel.

To difficult to implement?

Now we are a little off topic. But in the context I try to answer here.

In my opinion not only the shaping points after the next via point should be used. I would prefer when rerouting would be done to next (perhaps “next” should be the point selected in “Rerouting mode”) point, which can be a shaping point or a via point.

Shaping points and Via points are Waypoints. In the “Rerouting mode” as selection are “Waypoints”. For this both (Via points and shaping points) could be considered

But the route segments with a shaping point in my opinion are “must visit” segments. That I tried to say in my detailed description linked by @devemux86. For this perhaps the shaping points should be set “must visit” too (only a thought, I don’t know the real solution).

It would be nice, if there is a possibility to use shaping points as described above.

@devemux86 if wanted, don’t hesitate to move this post from “App: Waypoint types” to “App: Improve rerouting settings”.

I thought turning instructions (distance / time in navigation panels, direction / time in top-left nav panel) are only displayed for waypoints with names? Unnamed waypoints go unnoticed there, I thought? So there wouldn’t be a problem as long as no name is given fo shaping points?

And for rerouting my suggestion would be that you can generally choose between “only via point (shaping points ignored)” and “via or shaping point”. The default can be “only via point (shaping points ignored)”.

This setting should then affect both “nearest waypoint” and “next waypoint”, otherwise it will be too complicated.

For me shaping points also are “must visit”.

Yes, but why would we need then shaping points at all?
If we don’t treat shaping points different, than we don’t need them.

Then following common sense, all via points should be in turn instructions (named or not).
(we cannot bend the common rules as we like for only some cases)

Also have you seen how shaping points (or via points) are used in other routers?
(we should not try to reinvent the wheel)

Shaping points:

• No name, only numbered
  • decent marking (only a point with number)
  • not mentioned in turn instructions
  • considered in routing as waypoint

Shaping points are a big advantage when you not only give the route types and avoid types for the routing but if you force the routing to use prefered must visit segments in your route. Sometimes you have to set some shaping points to reach this. And then the decent marking is a big advantage when showing the route.

Via points:

• numbered, can be named by user
  • dominant marking (a “flag” with number)
  • mentioned in turn instructions
  • considered in routing as waypoint

To be friendly to other statements: This could be the solution. Because all nonamed Via points you don’t want at turn instructions can be replaced by Shaping points.

3 Likes

I agree with @WalterG

For me this would be OK:

• Turn instructions for all via points (named or not)
  • No turn instructions for all shaping points (named or not)

But configurable whether shaping points are taken into account when rerouting or not. (Or always take them into account)

Shaping points still differ from via points as follows:

1. are shown as small dots
  2. do not provide turn instructions

What makes clear differences to via points.

Nevertheless, it would be important to be able to take shaping points into account for rerouting (configurable or always).

For example, you can create POIs or planned breaks as via points, see them clearly on the route and receive turn instructions for them.

Sections that you want to drive through, but which are not necessarily defined by a certain geographical point, but define an important section of the route, can be defined by shaping points.

Just my suggestion …

3 Likes

The thing is that first implementation was as described by @WalterG:
(then users complained for imports, etc. and we started the changes…)

1 Like

The desires of the users at the end not always allow us to work economical. Sometimes we spend time for work with not so useful features.

But introducing the shaping points and your first implementation is a big gain for the app. To differ named and unnamed via points for turn instructions was a (little?) unnecessary detour. But at the end drawing the right conclusions makes the app better!

When the shaping points and the named via points are available in the published version of the app users will recognize the advantages. Some earlier desires loose priority and perhaps investing time to it is unnecessary.

IIRC the issue was, that coordinates were exported into the name field.
I think this is solved now on the website: Website: Export and waypoint names - #21 by boldtrn.

If it’s necessary, I could review the whole process completely from the beginning. :coffee:

This also could be solved in the app by implementing a button “unname all waypoints” or a button “convert all waypoints to shaping points”.

off topic:
@devemux86: thought about implementing a PayPal-Donate-Button for your PayPal account?

1 Like

Already available in waypoints list:

• Long press “type” button
  • Tap “type” button when nothing is selected
1 Like

From Locus Map manual

Add shaping points

The route is built by shaping points added on map:

Add via points

Via points are places you want to go through when navigating the route - the voice navigation will notify you of them and in case of route recalculation the via points are not detoured.

Hmm …
“in case of route recalculation the via points are not detoured

Does this mean, that Locus treats via points different than shaping points?!

It seems to handle them differently in voice guidance (as is the case with other routers).

Or your question is specifically about rerouting?

My question is specifically about rerouting.

Basically Locus has two routing options:

• Point priority - Locus recalculates the route to the nearest transit (or ‘via’) point on the planned route. If there are no ‘via’ points, it recalculates the route to the final point.

• Route priority - used when you deviate from the original line and want to get back to it - Locus navigates you to the original line as soon as possible and on the nearest place - the line (route) matters.

But both options could lead to skipping waypoints.
So why do they say:
“in case of route recalculation the via points are not detoured:thinking:

Anyways, just thinking.

But Kuviger could do better :wink:

Fully support this statement! I plan my routes always with about 3-4 Stops (routing points) but about 15-20 shaping points (yes I like the proposals of kurviger but I still use also the old map for planning). Skipping of shaping points due to detour recalculation makes sharping points function useless for me.

2 Likes

We cannot add more options. Already the “Waypoints in instructions” option seems unnecessary.
(and adds severe maintenance problems)

We must finalize the workflow with some sane defaults, like most routers work and users expect.