App: Waypoint types

I can understand your thoughts quite well. Nevertheless it would really improve Kurviger’s functionality and make the two waypoint types much more useful. I think other manufacturers (like Garmin) had similar motivations for implementing such features in their rerouting algorithms.

In my opinion a regular (visit) waypoint should always be default (also if creating roundtrips). Because shaping-points have a somehow less obligatory character so that the user should decide about it.

Sounds like a reasonable solution and helps to keep things as simple as possible. So the existing option “next unvisited waypoint” (for example) would result in a behaviour like my suggested “next unvisited visit-point”, right? I think that would be absolutely sufficient.

Round trip intermediate points are set for shaping the route, so they’re meant as shaping points.
But since that could produce other rerouting issues, I can revert them back to via points.

Exactly, like you described:
(I will see how this can be implemented)

Exactly. From a human point of view you’re absolutely right, of course. But from a “computer’s point of view” this may lead to loss of the initial intended routing plan.

One of my friends returned his BMW navigator because he thought
a study of computer science was necessary for the operation.
Are we not moving in the same direction here? (And I’m not kidding!)

1 Like

No, I don’t think so. But for this reason it is very important that things should be kept as simple as possible (and this is something devemux86 is really very aware of). And to keep in mind that all default options and functions should work properly for “basic” users without the need to “learn” too much aspects.

But if someone is willing to “dive deeper” he will be rewarded by having a really powerful tool which can be adjusted for his very personal and individual needs.

And there’s a difference between discussing “internal” algorithms and using them later as a regular user (when all those “internal” aspects aren’t visible any longer but instead the app just “works”).

2 Likes

The discussed improvements were implemented in Kurviger 1.13.16 (Beta).

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be helpful to name the “shaping-points” differently? The expression is already used by Garmin - it could therefore lead to misunderstandings. Just an idea …

They’re named like that because they’re the same waypoint types and so the term is well known.

I set up all routes on the website and then transfer it to my cell by URL link. How do I select which waypoint type on the website? How could I convert over 100 routes from stopover points to shaping points? Could you make the default shaping point on app and website and then manually select points to be stopover points. Could there be a 2 switches on app, 1) notify shaping points, 2) notify stopover points?

Waypoint types in app are according to the standards.
Via points have turn instructions, shaping points don’t.

You can change them in their menu or list (seen here).

Better discuss that in website’s feature topic:

I like and support this idea (or a default selection in the option menu), because most of my waypoints are shaping points.

Website creates turn instructions for all waypoints, so the default actually is not shaping points.

Das stimmt, aktuell wird es ein wenig kompliziert. Gestern habe ich folgendes festgestellt: Wegpunkte ohne Beschriftung werden mit voller Koordinate angesagt , sehr nervig bei 14 Zahlen. Also habe ich aus den Wegpunkten Formpunkte gemacht. Wenn ich jetzt auf Navigation drücke aber nicht am Start bin und auf Standard gehe ändert sich die ganze Strecke!? :thinking:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
That’s right, things are getting a little complicated right now. Yesterday I found out the following: Waypoints without labels are announced at full coordinates, very annoying with 14 numbers. So I made form points from the waypoints. If I now press Navigation but am not at the start and go to Standard, the whole route changes! :thinking:

Waypoint types in app are according to the standards.
Via points have turn instructions, shaping points don’t.

For rerouting see the relevant discussion leading here.

(always post route samples and app settings or it’s impossible to understand the report)

I could allow turn instructions only for via points which have names explicitly set externally.
Everyone finds that useful?

2 Likes

Das fände ich persönlich gut, wenn nur Wegpunkte angesagt werden die vom Benutzer benannt wurden bzw. die einen Namen z.B. Jagdschloss Grillenburg, Pause oder ähnliches haben.
Personally I would like that, if only waypoints are announced which were named by the user or which have a name e.g. Jagdschloss Grillenburg, Pause or similar.

1 Like

Really? I can not reproduce this.
What was the source of your route?
Did you import it from somewhere?

Probably means via points (not shaping points), which now all have turn instructions.
Either custom ones or auto generated (Via point 1, 2, …).

Ich habe mir Vorgestern diese Route Kurviger im Web erstellt. Über Exportieren verschiebe ich die Routen in Google Drive. Auf dem Handy öffne ich Google Drive, klicke auf die entsprechende Datei und öffne sie mit der Kurviger-App. Wenn man auf die Wegpunkte klickt, sieht man die Beschriftung, in meinem Fall viele Zahlen. Diese Zahlen wurden angesagt… Bisher muss ich sagen hatte ich das so auch noch nicht, bisher wurde Wegpunkt 1 etc. angesagt. Keine Ahnung was Gestern anders war, als sonst. :thinking:
I created this route Kurviger on the web the day before yesterday. I use Export to move the routes in Google Drive. On my mobile phone I open Google Drive, click on the corresponding file and open it with the Kurviger app. If you click on the waypoints, you see the label, in my case many numbers. These numbers were announced… Up to now I have to say that I did not have that either, so far waypoint 1 etc. was announced. No idea what was different yesterday than usual.

If waypoints are not shaping points and have names, then they have turn instructions.
That is the standard and expected behavior everywhere else, so nothing wrong here.

The error is where those coordinates entered in the route in any of the steps.
You need to investigate all the steps and see which process is the erroneous.