Perhaps there is a misunderstanding:
As far as I can see, the routing returns 2 instructions for each via point / shaping point: The first has sign=5 which is the value for “REACHED_VIA”. It also has distance=0.0 and time=0.0, which means that the following instruction is on the same place.
The following instruction is the 2nd one - in many cases it has sign=0 ( =“CONTINUE_ON_STREET” ), but in the case that the point is in a dead end, it has sign=-98 (=“U_TURN_UNKNOWN”).
Showing the turn instructions on the Website, both turn instructions of the via points / shaping points are shown (please see screenshot of @0709 above).
As far as I understand, the app suppresses the 2nd turn instruction of the via points / shaping points: Even if I change the shaping point from route above to via point and enable option “Waypoints in instructions”, I can not see a hint that I have to make an U-turn @ the via point (Version 1.14.11).
I am not sure, if the discussion “announce via points / shaping points or not” and the option “Waypoints in instructions” concern just the announcement “here is a via point / shaping point” or if it includes “hide the 2nd instruction or not”:
My current, personal opinion:
- hide the 2nd instruction or not" should be a separate descision
- In most cases it is good to suppress the 2nd turn instruction, because it is just a “continue on street” hint, which would not be there if the via point / shaping point would not be there,.
- But if there is a real turn hint (any left, right, U-Turn hint) it would be useful to show it even in combination with shaping point, because it would be also there if the same route leg would be routed without that viapoint / shaping point.
The “Dead end U-Turn” case shown by @zaphod_42 is an extreme example - as Wolfgang mentiond you miss the turn point, if you do not observe the map.
- On the other hand, this “severe case” is caused by a user failure (@Wolfgang: sorry ), so the first advice would be “avaoid failures”
- as in many cases, a more complex handling of the decision “show 2nd turn instruction?” would increase the effort, due to limited developer resources a priorization has to be done! I would like to have such an improvement, but would give a low priority ( = “nice to have” )