App: Smooth movement

Provide option for smooth movement in navigation / follow location modes.

Instead of map location “jumps”, smooth scroll / rotation can be performed.

Used alone or with Kalman filter, offers more fluid location map animations.

I really like this idea. Smoother movements look more professional and would improve the user experience escpially for those who prefer to be visually navigated (like me).

But I think this would result in more power consumption because of a shorter refresh cycle, right? Therefore it would be good to have this as an optional setting.

3 Likes

Correctly, everywhere the “Smooth movement” or the “Kalman filter” require more CPU or GPU (depends on implementation), so will be optional with default off.

1 Like

Has anyone else tried the smooth movement feature while driving?
Can you share your experience, feedback with smooth movement?

Available in “Settings | Location | Smooth movement”.

I’ve tried the smooth movement feature today on a short trip.
So far nothing to complain, on the Samsung Galaxy S7

Manfred

I tried it now several times and the map movement is still too slow. Especially in alternating curves it is far behind the reality. Samsung S9+

Implemented in Kurviger 1.11.5.

Yesterday I did a 100km ride with many sharp turns.
I can confirm the observation from @Tom, that in some situations map rotation lags behind reality. Maybe 3 seconds or more. Especially after sharp turns at crossroads with subsequent rapid acceleration.

My settings:

• Kalman filter: on
  • Smooth movement: on
  • Location service: Google
  • Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 8

I switched Kalman filter off -> no visible difference.
Then I changed location service from Google to Android.

Remaining test time was to short for a final conclusion, but my impression was, that map rotation was now way faster.
My observation so far, leads me to the conclusion that Google location service lags behind reality.

Manfred

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback, especially the details are very useful!

Google location service is supposed to be more efficient and battery friendly, but also a black box.

It will be more fine tuned in next app version and we’ll see how its behavior is improved in action.

1 Like

During (almost?) every ride, I notice the smooth movement being disabled by itself after a while and the map gets jumpy (2-3 fps maybe) again. It stays enabled in the menu. When pausing and resuming the navigation, it gets smooth again for a while.

I use Android GPS (not Google) and the Kalman Filter is enabled.

Are you aware of this problem?

I’m trying to make a screen recording with the built-in simulation but there it doesn’t seem to occur. I will make a screen recording during my next real ride to illustrate the problem for you. Any other information I could collect when doing this?

It’s better not set Kalman filter + Smooth movement simultaneously.

Kalman filter has its own process, so select each time one of them.