App: Navigation advanced route appearance

It is still not clear how the “next waypoint” would help.
And not until the next 1-2 turn instructions?

Schwierig ist mir klar.
Wie oben schon erwähnt… ein Luxusproblem.
Wäre schön, aber muss nicht sein :wink:

Da musst Du aber nicht aufgepasst haben … :innocent:
Ich hab’ die Situation mal nachgestellt: Kurviger und bin’s dann abgefahren:
kurviger3
siehe youtube
Sowohl die Anzeige links oben wie auch die Sprachausgabe ist m. E. völlig ausreichend.
Ich weiß: Luxus-Problem …
Dazu gibt es einen weisen Satz: Perfektion ist nicht dann erreicht, wenn es nichts mehr hinzuzufügen gibt, sondern dann wenn man nichts mehr weglassen kann. (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

3 Likes

War eine 300km Tour. Zurück war alles klar…
Aber aus Richtung Köln kommend war ich doch etwas irritiert :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I personally do not request this new feature in the Kurviger app.
But if introduced, it would be optimal to keep the nice current route presentation intact as much as possible. Note that the route line presentation already now contains small (moving) low-density white arrows. I suppose that higher density route arrows on the next most nearby trajectory to follow would be very nicely usefull and a very discrete pointing method.
A cacaphony of route colors is not what the actual Kurviger app design is actually known for. Just my opinion. Free to disagree, of course.

2 Likes

Makes Sense!!

Available in Kurviger 2.2.13 (Beta).

1 Like

The display of the current route section is painted differently from the rest of the route,
for performance reasons and to avoid redrawing the route with each location update.

Full paint vs. thin / semi-transparent.

Please test it in navigation (normal or simulation) to see if we need any improvements.

2 Likes

A very desirable option, as we talked about a long time ago. Thanks! But unfortunately it turns off the semi-transparency of the route that I use on a daily basis. So in this form it is not for me.

Maybe if there was some personalization, it would be possible to keep the transparency? Perhaps the best thing would be to be able to define a different color while still being transparent.

1 Like

There are many things that can be done with the paint, now that all the key elements are in place.

For your information, now the bottom (thin / semi-transparent) line is painted once for whole route.
If top line is translucent, then the bottom line must not overlap → must split / repaint, as top moves.

Some may even like the top line to move progressively for some meters with each location update.
It would not be nice for performance, so I avoided these in this version and to gather user opinions.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Route width

Available in Kurviger 2.2.19 (Beta).

1 Like

Perhaps the previous sections of the route should not be painted at all.

(when we are off route, the whole route is normally painted anyway)

1 Like

You did it! :+1: The active route is what I like (wide, semi-transparent) and the inactive sections are discreet and thin! I’m delighted. Thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

If you have some free time, please post a screen of navigation.
It would be interesting to see how you all use this new feature.

It’s perfect for me. Well done @devemux86. Now even the strangest routes are unambiguous and easily noticeable. Many thanks once again!

1 Like

A very good idea and a very good implementation. It works very well. Maybe the yellow turning points in the previous sections should also disappear in a similar way?

:slightly_smiling_face:

I try to avoid constantly repainting the route line for better performance.
Now the process works as follows:

• Active route section is painted with user settings: color, width, arrows, etc.
    (active route section: previous waypoint → next waypoint)
    When <500m to next waypoint, second next route section is also painted.

• A thin / translucent line is painted from the next waypoint to the destination.

• In off route situations or when pause the navigation,
    the entire route line is painted with the user settings.

Very clever. Thanks for the clarification. So the route is still drawn, but with “invisible ink” (in my childhood I believed that spies used one :wink:). It really makes a trip around, which sometimes intersects with itself, a lot, lot easier.

Of course, I understand that this solution cannot affect the yellow turning points - luckily, they do not interfere with anything. Especially when their appearance is limited to high zoom levels.