App: Improve rerouting settings

We should also think about the history, and why we got all these rerouting options.

1. At the beginning we had only “nearest waypoint” - the flexible version
    (well and nearest point on route)
    Then users complained that waypoints may be automatically skipped; see Rerouting changes the planned route - #38 by SchlesiM

2. As a solution we got “Next waypoint” (formerly called next unvisited waypoint)
    Then users discovered, that you still can create situations where waypoints are skipped

3. So we got “strict navigation” - the strict version.

For users to understand the intention of this rerouting options and also for easy documentation we shoud only keep a strict and a flexible version.

[DE]
Wir sollten auch über die Geschichte nachdenken, und darüber, warum wir all diese rerouting Optionen bekommen haben.

1. Am Anfang hatten wir nur den “nächstgelegenen Wegpunkt” - die flexible Version
    (naja, und nächstgelegener Punkt auf der Route)
    Dann beschwerten sich Benutzer, dass Wegpunkte automatisch übersprungen werden könnten; siehe Rerouting changes the planned route - #38 by SchlesiM

2. Als Lösung erhielten wir “Nächster Wegpunkt” (früher “nächster unbesuchter Wegpunkt” genannt)
    Dann entdeckten Benutzer, dass man immer noch Situationen schaffen kann, in denen Wegpunkte übersprungen werden

3. So haben wir also die “Strikte Navigation” bekommen - die strikte Version.

Damit die Benutzer die Intention dieser rerouting Optionen verstehen und auch aus Gründen der einfachen Dokumentation sollten wir nur eine strikte und eine flexible Version beibehalten.

Übersetzt mit DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (kostenlose Version)
… und kleinen Korrekturen von mir :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks, some options were added to help until the proper ones are implemented.

(2) indeed seems like the (temporary) step towards proper implementation of (3).

That reduces complexity also in app maintenance, my concern for the future… :slightly_smiling_face:

We should have in mind that since “Next waypoint” is currently the default, most users “report” to use that option. Important is if they tested all options and understand the differences and what they need.

2 Likes

I will test the strict mode today on a roundtrip with crossing sections. The other flexible options are also useful in other situations, for me less on a complex roundtrip if you want to catch all planned curvy roads. In any case I find it excellent that this flexibility is offered and realized.

Available in Kurviger 1.13.6 (Beta).

Hi.

is it possible that there are currently only two options for route recalculation?

next waypoint and strict navigation

I have now tried several times to drive a round trip with a detour. As soon as the recalculation starts the whole tour is gone, from 280 km it is only 14 km to the finish. My route has only 2 waypoints, one where the entrance stands and once refueling after about 120 km…

It doesn’t matter if online or offline (BRouter).

Am I doing something wrong in the settings ?

Greetings

Manne

Can you post a route sample and where exactly your rerouting happens?

If want to follow strictly the route, then can select strict navigation option.

Or if select the other option, what exactly expect as result after rerouting?

Hi,

the file
Rundtour 10_Mai 2020_2.kurviger (30.7 KB)

Screenshot on smartphone (I use it to optimize)

After take the wrong exit from the roundabout
(upload://h1YnDLqUUUlxNMYedL4KsrnpI7k.png)

Manne

Thanks for the example.

What rerouting mode you had selected, “Nearest waypoint”?
Round trips are handled better with “Strict navigation” option.

Or mean to replace “Nearest waypoint” with “Next waypoint”?

Hi,

I’ve been riding with IGo for a long time. The main reason to use the kurviger Pro is the fact that it now has different waypoint variants, similar to Garmin.

Forming points, which define the route but don’t have to be driven to, and waypoints which have to be driven to in any case, because break, refueling etc. are stored, no matter if you took a detour or a wrong turn. But in principle the navigation must always try to follow the planned route as far as possible.

BR
Manne

Hi,

I had next waypoint. Because I was of the opinion, with strict, the navi always leads me back to the abandoned point. It should only calculate the few meters of detour.
There ist no nearest way point to select.

I will test it next time. Would it work with BRouter?

BR

Manne

That is based on user preference and in Kurviger long ago users have preferred a flexible navigation model where can exit and enter the route anywhere.

Strict navigation was introduced in latest Beta after requests to navigate in a strict model. So should select that option if really want strict route following.

What app version do you use, Kurviger 1.12.4 or Kurviger 1.13.16 (Beta)?

There is no “Next waypoint” in latest Beta, only:

• Nearest waypoint
  • Strict navigation

Routing service is irrelevant to navigation or rerouting, it’s used only to calculate routes.

1.13.6. Beta

purple is what I expected, and green is what happen :slight_smile:

Sorry, but alone images cannot help understand the meaning of reports.
(cannot understand the route, where you were, where waypoints were)

So you used latest Beta with “Nearest waypoint”? Then result was normal.
Next time you should try “Strict navigation”, recommended for round trips.

Or we replace “Nearest waypoint” with “Next waypoint” for better rerouting.

Or you go back to give all the options back. If possible, you can place beginner, standard or experts the options menu, so that user can set what they want. more or less options :wink:

Manne

offtopc,

where ist the disussion about the design…? I use a chinese device witch works in landscape format, so some infos are too small…

Cannot do that, options must be simplified and easily maintainable.

We discuss here final sane options that most users will find useful.

By the way have you tried “Strict navigation” or not?
Or else this discussion has not further meaning. :slightly_smiling_face:

Certainly not here…
Please create new topics for new questions.

I use the next waypoint…next time I will try strict !

Again, there is no “Next waypoint” in settings, please read them carefully.
Currently there are:

• Nearest waypoint
  • Strict navigation

I will think if we need further improvements or a replacement for first one.

you are right “nächstgelegener Wegpunkt”

Manne