App: Follow location when navigation is paused

EN
(Since I’m just in the writing flow, another case of my last trip … :wink: )

Could we enable an “inserted following mode” during navigation?

Use case:

Often, while navigating along a pre-planned route, I decide at short notice while driving to take a short “detour” sideways from the route, with the intention of continuing navigation along the planned route afterwards. So a recalculation of the route should not take place in these cases. (I suspect that others often get into this situation as well).

To do this, I click on the green “Navigation” button at the bottom left, pausing navigation (correct behavior?).

Observation:

However, then arrow indicating my position stops exactly at the point where I left the navigated route and also the map does not move further (is this correct?); so I lose orientation on the map.

Wish:

It would be nice if in this situation the position arrow would go into the usual follow mode until I resume navigation by clicking on the navigation arrow again (either by coming back to the planned route, or by Kurviger doing a recalculation of the route, as usual).

This is what I would call an “inserted following mode”.

Would something like this be possible (probably non-trivial to implement)?

Hint:

Of course I can also realize this (as before) by exporting the route as long as, deleting it, continuing in the normal following mode, importing the route again afterwards and continuing the navigation. However, this is quite time-consuming and contains the risk that I forget to export the route.

Or do you have another, shorter “strategy” for this?

DE
(Da ich gerad im Schreibflow bin, ein weiterer Fall von meiner letzten Reise … :wink: )

Könnte man einen “Zwischen-Folgemodus” (“eingeschobenen Folgemodus”) während der Navigation ermöglichen?

Anwendungsfall:

Häufig beschließe ich während der Navigation entlang einer vorgeplanten Route kurzfristig während des Fahrens, einen kurzen “Abstecher” seitwärts der Route einzulegen, in der Absicht, hinterher die Navigation über die geplante Route fortzusetzen. Eine Neuberechnung der Route soll in diesen Fällen also nicht erfolgen. (Ich vermute, dass auch andere häufig in diese Situation kommen.)

Dazu klicke ich auf den grünen Button “Navigation” unten links und pausiere damit die Navigation (richtiges Verhalten?).

Beobachtung:

Dann bleibt Pfeil, der meine Position anzeigt, jedoch genau an der Stelle stehen, an der ich die navigierte Route verlassen habe und auch die Karte bewegt sich nicht weiter (stimmt das so?); ich verliere also die Orientierung auf der Karte.

Wunsch:

Schön wäre es, wenn der Positionspfeil in dieser Situation in den gewohnten Folgemodus geht, bis ich die Navigation wieder durch den Klick auf den Navigationspfeil wieder aufnehme (entweder, indem ich auf die geplante Route zurückgekommen bin, oder indem Kurviger eine Neuberechnung der Route vornimmt, wie gewohnt).

Dies würde ich als “Zwischen-Folgemodus” bezeichnen.

Wäre so etwas möglich (vermutlich nicht trivial zu realisieren)?

Hinweis:

Natürlich kann ich dies auch (wie bisher) realisieren, indem ich solange die Route exportiere, lösche, im normalen Folgemodus weiterfahre, hinterher die Route wieder importiere und die Navigation fortsetze. Dies ist jedoch recht aufwendig und enthält das Risiko, dass ich vergesse, die Route zu exportieren.

Oder habt ihr dafür noch eine andere, kürzere “Strategie”?

A quick answer would be to stop navigation (instead of pause)
and enable the follow location mode.

(no need to export / import the route)

Your suggestion is essentially to allow the follow location while navigation is paused?

We can not introduce many automations, users must select their actions, not system.

Completely agreed.
Hmm - perhaps I make a thoughts mistake? Have to have another trial and will come back to the topic …
THX!

To clarify the functions, when navigation is active or paused,
currently the location button allows only tap for map center.
(not long press for follow location)

Why not simply deactivate automatic recalculation during that detour?
Can be done in 3 clicks.
Click navigaton panel → uncheck “recalculate route” → click OK

2 Likes

It will be available in the next app update.

1 Like

EN
Everything in the green (and I’m stupid …) I!! :rofl:

Sorry for spooking the horses! :wink:

In a nutshell: Kurviger is already doing EXACTLY what I wanted to suggest.

In detail:

I actually made a mistake. Not a thinking mistake, but I had to accept once again that still after all these years in Kurviger, I’m still not perfect with it:

I didn’t realize (or I had forgotten) that it makes a difference whether you press the green “Navigation” button SHORTLY OR LONG. I’ve always pressed it short so far, if at all.

Your hint to “not pause” but “stop” the navigation in my use case made me today on the road hold my finger longer on the button - and lo and behold: That was exactly what I was missing: The navigation is interrupted, the route on the detour is not recalculated, and Kurviger is still in follow mode.

After that, another LONG press on this button - and the navigation is continued with a recalculation (if I didn’t return to the old route myself).

Solutions can be that simple - if they already exist! :smiley:

MANY thanks again for the quick help!

DE
Alles im Grünes Bereich (und ich bin doof …)!!! :rofl:

Sorry, dass ich die Pferde scheu gemacht habe. :wink:

In Kürze: Kurviger macht jetzt schon EXAKT dass, was ich vorschlagen wollte.

Im Detail:

Ich habe tatsächlich einen Fehler gemacht. Keinen Denkfehler, aber ich musste wieder einmal akzeptieren, dass ich nach all den Jahren in Kurviger immer noch nicht perfekt bin:

Mir war nicht bewusst (oder ich hatte es vergessen), dass es einen Unterschied macht, ob man den grünen “Navigation”-Button KURZ ODER LANGE drückt. Ich habe ihn bisher stets kurz gedrückt, wenn überhaupt.

Dein Hinweis, in meinem Anwendungsfall die Navigation “nicht pausieren”, sondern “stoppen”, veranlasste mich, mal den Finger länger auf dem Button zu halten - und siehe da: Das war genau das, was mir fehlte: Die Navigation wird unterbrochen, die Route auf dem Umweg nicht neu berechnet, und Kurviger ist solange im Folgen-Modus.

Danach noch einmal ein LANGER Druck auf diesen Button - und die Navigation wird mit einer Neuberechnung fortgesetzt (wenn ich nicht selbst auf die alte Route zurückgekehrt bin).

So einfach können Lösungen sein - wenn es sie bereits gibt! :smiley:

VIELEN Dank auch hier noch einmal für die schnelle Hilfe!

1 Like

EN
What now remains for me is only the question (which, however, is no longer important for me, but rather in principle):

What at all is the point of “pause navigation” instead of “stop navigation”?

DE
Was nun bleibt ist für mich nur die Frage (die aber für mich nicht mehr wichtig, sondern eher grundsätzlich ist):

Was überhaupt ist der Sinn von “Navigation pausieren” an Stelle von “Navigation stoppen”?

1 Like

Just tap the button to pause / resume navigation.
Long press is needed to stop navigation.

Please see the manual and the related feature topic:

1 Like

EN
Thanks for the tip! I have never dealt with this issue to any great extent.

It seems for MY use case to STOP (not pause) navigation by LONG pressing is indeed the way to go, because it continues with follow mode until I resume navigation. And that is what I wanted! :+1:t4:

(For the pause mode I don’t see any need for ME in this context so far).

DE
Vielen Dank für den Hinweis! Ich habe mich nie groß mit diesem Thema beschäftigt.

Für MEINEN Anwendungsfall scheint tatsächlich der richtige Weg zu sein, die Navigation durch LANGES Drücken zu STOPPEN (nicht zu pausieren), denn dann geht es im Folgemodus weiter, bis ich die Navigation wieder aufnehme.

Und das ist genau, was ich mir gewünscht habe! :+1:t4:

(Für den Pausemodus sehe ich für MICH bisher in diesem Zusammenhang keinen Bedarf.)

1 Like

That would have been my suggestion as well. Navigation is then automatically continued when you return to the original route.

EN
This was also my idea as a workaround. But needs more effort, because you have to decide that before. But I want the automatic recalculation during navigation.

So stopping and resuming the navigation as I described seems to be the much better way, at least for me.

DE
War auch meine Idee als Workaround. Braucht aber mehr Aufwand, weil man das vorher entscheiden muss. Aber ich WILL die automatische Neuberechnung während der Navigation.

Daher scheint mir der Weg über das Stoppen und Wiederaufnehmen der Navigation, wie ich es beschrieben habe, der viel bessere Weg zu sein, zumindest für mich.

Sure, if you need the automatic recalculation this is certainly the better option.
I also drove like this but now only strict navigation without recalculation, works great!

Implemented in Kurviger 2.1.8.

1 Like