App: Display next waypoint

very nice, just one remark:
by default all wp’s are named waypoints and with big font size I have no clue which waypoint is meant because the text is cut.
I only see Wegpunkt…

Would it be possible to display the waypoints as WP, so abreviated? WP1, WP2, WP3…
Then I wouldn’t need to rename every waypoint in order to be able to read the wp number.
When the waypoint has a special name, then of course display the name like it is.

Additionally why is the turn instruction written additionally? For example I have here a waypoint 14 which I only want to visit and then turn back. I don’t need it to be called " Wegpunkt 12 Wenden" , just “WP 14” would be fine, as long as it has no special name.

Your image shows the numbers.
1 word + number (without turn instruction) should always fit.

The improvement will be available in the next app update.
(mentioned here)

but not while driving, then I only see: “Wegpunkt…” or even “Wegpun…”

Maybe I don’t understand. I thought the improvement would be that it doesn’t show the turning instruction, but it still shows the “Wenden”, in englisch turn around for the WP 14
grafik

It is expected with extremely large font size…
The left and right panels are connected! :slightly_smiling_face:

do you mean the 2.2.11 then? Because I have already installed the 2.2.10 and this is still showing the turning instruction (I have now reduced the font size to show but I like the big font size because I then don’t need glasses.

The post was made after the Kurviger 2.2.19 (Beta) announcement,
so it can be available in the next app update.

perfect thanks… the abreviation for default wp naming, is this also something to manage?

There are no universal abbreviations in all languages and users may not understand them.

We could remove the distance (it already exists in the top-right distance panel).
Or make the waypoint panel multi-line.

no please not remove the distance, because then I see the distance to the next waypoint on the top and the distance to the destination right-hand side, I like that. Any idea how I could mass rename the wp names then in .kurviger files and in the web tool in the cloud files?

We can use a shorter word or just the waypoint number:

• 20.9 km • Point 14
  • 20.9 km • #14

For as long as I can remember “WP” was short for “Waypoint”. I think it would be universal and understandable to everyone (also non-english users - e.g. like me). Both “Point” and even more “#” could be confusing what they refer to… That’s my three cents.

I don’t mean to be rude, but in all seriousness I wonder: why should we change this at all? Just so that a person does not have to rename the default waypoints (without names)? Strange …
Such a request would not even be answered at Garmin or TomTom, I think.

Indeed, waypoints you want to watch in the new waypoint panel
are usually those with custom names, i.e. the interesting points.

Waypoint 14, Point 15, #16, WP 17: numbers are not memorable.

In my opinion, it is not about remembering waypoints. When navigating, one just want to know the distance to the next waypoint. I don’t care what it’s called. Anyone can set waypoints or shaping points wherever they want. The one give it a name, others don’t care about names.
I find the abreviation “WP” universal, Garmin for example also uses “WP” as an abbreviation for waypoints by default.

But I also find “#” universal for a marker or waypoint. This does not need to be translated. Anyone who wants to name their waypoint can do so and has no problem at all interpreting # 14 as waypoint 14. What else should it be in a route planner and navigation system?

Anyone who wants can also interpret a problem into anything, like always in life.

Why not using glasses? Would solve some problems without destroying graphics and text at large zoom levels.

I had already mentioned elsewhere. No problem, I can tell again why. On the one hand, the temples hurt behind the ear at some point, and on the other hand, I don’t like varifocals. Besides, with glasses you always have an area where the frame is in the way. My distance vision without glasses is still good, (with single vision lenses visual acuity 1.2), only the middle and near range doesn’t work much without glasses anymore. That’s the way it is in old age. I can read the big font without glasses. That’s my preferred setting. I could just as well ask: why does this bother someone and why do you want to talk me into glasses or contact lenses? The Kuviger app is able to provide big font size. In don’t want anything else. Another question could be: who is seriously bothered by the abbreviation of waypoints with WP or # especially when most users seem to rename the WP’s anyway?

We can use the same display as in the waypoints list [Number. Name]:

• 11.7 km • 4. Nice place!

Or display the number only for unnamed via points:

• 11.7 km • 4. Waypoint

Would also work well and easy to implement I guess :slight_smile:

Improved in Kurviger 2.2.11 (Beta).

After further testing I guess there is a little misunderstanding.

Before the change the font size in the next waypoint panel was the same as in the distance panel and a longer text was abreviated with 3 dots at the end. Now the size is smaller in the next waypoint panel and longer texts are written in 2 lines and not centered any more, but left justified. This I find not so good. It should be centered consequently.

Also I didn’t mean to keep the number if the waypoints have special names.

If the waypoint are renamed, then the number is not necessary and should disappear.

Additionally now that the number is listed first, 2 lines are not necessary, I would keep it in one line and same font size as the distance panel and abreviate with 3 dots at the end, for example “112 km • 4. Wegpun…” but if renamed then “112 km • Burg Ramstein” or with big font size “112 km • Burg R…” in one centered line above the distance panel and turn-by-turn symbol (in landscape mode it is correctly centered between the turn-by-turn symbol and the distance panel).
I had also secretly thought that shaping points would not be counted when numbering waypoints, so that they would appear consecutively numbered like 1, 2, 3, 4… (not in the planning mode, only in listing in the next waypoint panel). That was my thinking error. Now I perceive that the shaping points are counted and then after waypoint “112 km • 4. Wegpun…” would appear “225 km • 17. Wegpun…” for example. This is then a little confusing, deriving from human thinking: The driver knows in his or her mind that he or she has planned 4 intermediate stops, then the driver would know if heading to Stopovers 3 or 4 see “112 km • 4. Wegpun…”. If written as 17. or 18. waypoint, then no one knows anymore if it was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th planned stop :crazy_face:
Hope I have explained it well now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All is just a proposal, we are in Beta mode.