10day Alps trip

In 2018 we made a nice 10days trip trough the Alps. Our focus was on the french alps as we hasn’t visit them before. I started the planning long time before with motoplaner. As motoplaner dies I was very happy that kurviger step in and all my planning could saved. So kurviger saved our trip. (thanks to the team).
1st day (friday): collecting the group (7pers) on the Autobahn and driving to Basel.
From Basel we drive on smaller streets to the Chasseral.
Normally there you have a really great view on the Alps-panorama. But as we arrive, we had fog. We had ca. 5m of view and struggeling not to catch a cow which were near the street. So nothing to see :sleepy:
2nd day: Kurviger Chasseral to La Clusaz
We drive over small and curvy passes Gurnigelpass/ Jaunpass / Col des Mosses / Pass de Morgins / Col du Corbier and Col del a Columbiere to France.
We stay in the city La Clusaz on beautiful scenic landscape
3rd day: Kurviger La Clusaz to Corps
We was now in the french alps which for me was an surprise how beautiful and nice to drive they are.
Several passes we made on these day Col des Aravis / Col des Salsies / Cormet de Roselend / Col de Madeleine / Col du Glandon / Col de Ornon
We stayed in in an old nice alone standing farmhouse some kilometers in front of Corps.
4th day: Kurviger Corps to Jaussier Kurviger Jaussiet to Jaussier
On these day we drive along the turquoise lake Lac de Serre Poncon to Jaussier, where we should stayed over the night. After a short break on the hotel, we started the second part of the day. We started a round trip through the Col de Allos / Col d Champs / Col de la Couillole and at the end one of the highest passes in the alps the Col del Bonette. These round was fantastic. It was like driving in the Grand Canyon (red rocks/ deep canyons). We made a planned shortcut on these tour. Maybe not the best solution, as some kilometers of these “street” was really bad.(Now I know why it was not shown in Streetview) But we did it without Leaf foot and the rest of these lonely small road was really nice. At the end it was an fantastic day.
5th day: Kurviger Jaussier to Tende
From Jaussier we started to the Col de Larche (Italy) to come back to France over Isola. We use smaller mountain roads offside the main street to arrive our target Nizza and later Monaco.
The panorama road from Nizza to Monaco is really viewable. But driving through Monaco is terrible.
Later in the hills of Monaco to Menton and the roads to the north make these forgotten. Small curvy lonely roads. What else a biker need. The night we stay in Tende, a small mountain city with a great view.
6th day: Kurviger (planned) Kurviger (driven) Tende to Sestiere
normally it was planned to drive these day to Italy and spend the day on very small mountain passes.
Unfortunately one of our bikes broke (fan of radiator). So we decided to look for an Workshop in flat area in Italy. The 3rd garage could help us but the day was gone. So we spend the time in these city and relax.
After the long tours, the days before it was not the worst. Luckily the planned finish point was reachable and we could continue our trip as planned.
7th day: Kurviger Sestiere to Champex Lac
The day started with a special pass. The Colle delle Finestre. From Streetview I knew that the pass have over long time no asphalt. Also everywhere is written that you can drive there well and the Giro de Italy also was there. So I took in the planning - no risk no fun. As we arrived shortly after the start, the “road” was in really bad condition. But we made it. (without such “adventures” a trip wouldn’t be a right trip).
From my perspective I can not recommend these pass.
As we made it we drove to the Col de Mont Cenis, the pass, on which Hannibal come over the alps with his elephants. From there we went to the highest pass of the alps, the Col de I Iseran. From there we use the Small St Bernard and the Big St Bernard to arrive our target Champex Lac in Swiss.
8th day: Kurviger Champex Lac to Cresciano
We started with a small pass to drive into a Rhone Valley. the Col de la Croix de Coer. The road is without asphalt but you can drive well on it. Next to road you have really deep valleys and a great wide view. Down in the valley we didnt use the main road. We drive left and right from it in mountain streets.
At the end of the Valley we comes to the Nufenenpass. From there we entered Andermatt over the old St Gotthardpass. Passing the Oberalppass and Lkmanierpass we reached our daily goal Cresciano, a small village near the San Bernardino.
9th day: Kurviger Cresciano to Imst
On last day in the alps we visit passes we had made in a former tour and want to see again.
We started on the San Bernardino which I liked well.From there we went to the Splüggenpass/ Malojapss/ Berniapass to St Moritz. From there of course we must vistit the Stilfser Joch. To get there we use the Forcola di Livigno and Passo Foscagno.On the Pass to Livigno we had to stop because of a flat tire. Luckily we had a tirefix with us. (dont forget these on your next tour). We could fix it and on the next tire shop they had a new tire for us. Sometime you must have some luck. So now we could through the Stilfser Joch which for me it every time a little highlight. Through the Reschenpass we come to our last accommodation of our tour. We reached Imst and let the tour end nicely.
10th day (Sunday): On our last day we drive the long way up to the north of Germany. There our ways parted and everyone drive to his home.
But for sure that will not be our last trips to the alps.

9 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience! It sounds like a fun trip for sure! Nothing beats an awesome trip through the alps. French alps are on my todo list as well, I might check a few of your routes for inspiration :wink:

Hallo Lars,
toller Bericht von dem Trip. Würdest Du auch deine Fotos auch zur Verfügung stellen. Evtl. Link von Google Fotos.
Wäre toll. Vielen Dank.
Gruß Brinki

Hi
I like your trip. I would like to attempt it in late May
Do you think it would be possible on a sports tourer - kawasaki Ninja 1000sx

Bill